Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece How to manage smell from using fleece?

2piggies1

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I switched over to fleece about 3 weeks ago and have realized my room smells more than normal.
I spot clean at least twice a day and use pads in areas where my piggies like to urinate. The smell is still very strong, and my dad is always complaining that he smells it from the hallway.

Does anyone have tips and tricks to help mask the smell without causing any harm to the pigs?

Thanks!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How big is your cage? Fleece won't work in small cages unless you change it very frequently.

What are you using under the fleece to soak up the urine?

How are you washing the fleece? It needs hot water and strong detergent, and maybe bleach.

2piggies1

Cavy Slave
there cage is a 2x4 c and c cage and i use newspaper underneath the fleece. Also I use warm water with all dye free and perfume free detergent.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll have to clean a 2x4 pretty frequently.

Newspaper really stinks. Wood pellets are the best at odor control, but you can use mattress pads or u-haul pads, or other sorts of bedding.

You need to use hot water, and a strong detergent. Fleece is nearly indestructible, and harsh washing isn't going to hurt it.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I would definitely recommend changing your absorbant layer. Newspaper is not very absorbant and will stink almost instantly.

I would definitely look into uhaul. My liners have 2 layers of it and I find they can last a week (with using smaller fleece pads in high traffic areas) and are not any more smelly than disposable bedding.

Depending on your noise tolerance, wood pellets are amazing, but they did not work for me at all. My pigs were in my bedroom and the pellets are VERY noisy at first when the pigs run around. I tried for a week but they were driving me insane. They aren't expensive though so they could be worth a try. The worst that happens is that you don't like them and throw them away, just like any other disposable bedding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.