Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine Guinea Pigs dry skin or mites?

GuineaPig540

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have two new guinea pigs (females), they are three months old and I got them at the store last week. I have them on fleece. They are both happy and are popcorning, eating and normally. I don't know when this started, but they are scratching and biting themselves quite a lot on sides. I tried to check them and I think I saw a little dried skin and one has a little dandruf. Is it because of the new bedding? Do you think I should use coconut oil and rub it to their skin or could it be mites? It would be great if you could advise me because the vets are expensive and I have two of them. This is the first time they are using fleece and the humidity is somewhere between 60% in the room so it's normal. I also change the bedding every few days. Is there any way I could try to do something or is the vet necessary?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

GuineaPig540

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much I will do that!

GuineaPig540

Cavy Slave
I only have one more question. If I buy this product online, do I also need to throw away the blankets they used? And the towels beneath them? I don't have access to a washing machine so I hand wash the fleece. But I have a lot unused fleece that I can use instead. I also read somewhere that I need to throughly sanitize the cage? How would I do that? And is that necessary? Thank you a lot for your answer

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you wash the fleece with bleach, you can reuse it. If you had a dryer, you could wash it normally -- the heat from the dryer would kill them. But the mites aren't likely to be in the fleece anyway.

Just clean as you usually do.

GuineaPig540

Cavy Slave
Thank you. You are very helpful I really apprechiate it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.