Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

canít poop

I keep watching charlie try to poop because he lifts his butt, but sometimes he canít seem to poop. But he also poops throughout the day. I am tired of having to flip him on his belly everyday and get out the poop. What can I do? Does he need gripe water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Re: canít poop

He needs medical attention. You should take him to the vet. Also, how long has he been like this? A few days?

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalCavy View Post
    He needs medical attention. You should take him to the vet. Also, how long has he been like this? A few days?
    Yes itís been since probably friday, since heís pooping sometimes why would he need to go the doctor? He still pooping within the normal amount that doctors recommend

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

You should take him to a cavy savvy vet. It's because he might be developing a sickness or something that could possibly be extremely life-threatening later on. Getting him checked out now and getting him checked out later could be the difference between life and death for your pig. Also even though he is "pooping the amount that doctors (do you mean vets?) recommend", the fact that some of his poop is stuck is extremely concerning.

But, the choice is yours. Please consider taking your guinea pig to the vet. A cavy savvy vet would be best.

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

You should take him to a cavy savvy vet. It's because he might be developing a sickness or something that could possibly be extremely life-threatening later on. Getting him checked out now and getting him checked out later could be the difference between life and death for your pig. Also even though he is "pooping the amount that doctors (do you mean vets?) recommend", the fact that some of his poop is stuck is extremely concerning.

But, the choice is yours. Please consider taking your guinea pig to the vet. A cavy savvy vet would be best.
    I take him to ďSummertree Animal & Bird ClinicĒ and the vet said that he should poop around 20 pellets at the minimum per 6 hours. I will take him to the vet for sure. Itís also different type of impaction itís not a large poop itís just a small stinky one, after about three clumped pellets. from what Iíve done research on with the guinealynx and research from this blog, I thought it was semi-normal for Charlie to have impacted poops since he is 5 and his rectal gland or not as strong as they may have once been.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

He's at an age where he may need help keeping his anal sac cleaned out. Cleaning out an impaction is just one of the regular chores of having an older male guinea pig.

You do need to be careful when doing it, though. The reason they get impacted is that the muscle in the anal sac lose strength. And if you push too hard trying to get the poop out, you stretch them even more and make the problem worse.

He doesn't need a vet visit, he doesn't need gripe water, he just needs a regular cleaning routine. He probably doesn't like being flipped on his back, and would be more cooperative if you hold him in your lap, his back to your chest, and clean him that way.

Have you seen this? https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...n-the-Anal-Sac

7. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Ok sorry, didn't know that he was 5 yrs

9. "Thank you, CrystalCavy, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Ok sorry, didn't know that he was 5 yrs
    no problem. thank you for your help :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    He's at an age where he may need help keeping his anal sac cleaned out. Cleaning out an impaction is just one of the regular chores of having an older male guinea pig.

You do need to be careful when doing it, though. The reason they get impacted is that the muscle in the anal sac lose strength. And if you push too hard trying to get the poop out, you stretch them even more and make the problem worse.

He doesn't need a vet visit, he doesn't need gripe water, he just needs a regular cleaning routine. He probably doesn't like being flipped on his back, and would be more cooperative if you hold him in your lap, his back to your chest, and clean him that way.

Have you seen this? https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...n-the-Anal-Sac
    thank you for helpful advice!

User Tag List