Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General teeth grinding

maxnruby

Cavy Gazer
do guinea pigs grind their teeth when they’re happy as well as upset???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
I think the noise you're talking about is teeth chattering. I'm pretty sure that most of the time they do it, they are annoyed or angry (whether the chattering is directed at you, or other guinea pigs). I've never heard of guinea pigs teeth chattering when they're happy though.

Try using the keyword "teeth chattering" instead of "grind their teeth" when searching it up. You might get better results. Also, I'd also suggest you search up "guinea pig noises and what they mean" on YouTube, you might find a match there.

Hope this helps.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
I was doing some research myself and I saw this one website that said the following "Guinea pigs may grind their teeth in response to pain, or it could indicate a dental problem that could lead to an infection or difficulty eating."

Just to clarify, were you talking about a sound or a movement or both?

maxnruby

Cavy Gazer
I’m talking about the sound, known as teeth chattering, my female does it EVERYTIME we go to get her out, but she doesn’t bite, nip, anything! It’s so weird, and when we get her out all she does is popcorn! Haha silly girl

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Ok, yeah, it's a bit strange. Do you have a single piggie or is she with another guinea pig? If there's another, it might be a sign of aggression towards the other pig and you might need to monitor their behavior for awhile. She sounds like a happy, healthy pig though.

Spartan021

Cavy Slave
My piggy boy Rascal does this quite often. He does it towards Lenard he does it when you pet him, look at him, he also does it when he's hungry or needs to use the bathroom. I think it's their way of telling you they need something. Or that something is wrong that they need help whether it be dental, internal, or external.

maxnruby

Cavy Gazer
She’s was a single piggy but i just introduced her to another piggy tonight! They’re bffs already

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Nice! Hope they do well together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.