Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Guinea pigs in the green house?

MyLittlePigs

Cavy Slave
We have an old green house in my garden and I thought it would be a good idea (if we insulate it of course) we could use its huge floor space and add a hutch for more warmth at night. Do you think it would be a good idea and do you have any suggestions of what to consider/ tips. Thank you so much for your replies I really appreciate it.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Maybe, but you need to be sure it doesn't get too warm when it's sunny. Guinea pigs don't like it to be hot, and they get heatstroke when the temperature hits the mid-eighties Fahrenheit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyLittlePigs

Cavy Slave
I'd be very concerned about the heat. Also, one of the big problems with having guinea pigs outside or in an outbuilding is that then you have to put forth effort to go see them. It makes it harder to tell when they're sick or acting off, because you don't have as good a baseline for how they act when they're healthy.
Yes, good point heat could be a problem but maybe a fan or I could house them inside in the summer. Or do you have any suggestions thank you.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Yes, good point heat could be a problem but maybe a fan or I could house them inside in the summer. Or do you have any suggestions thank you.

My suggestion: House them inside year round and if you don't want to do that, then don't get guinea pigs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

The sole purpose of a greenhouse is to provide very warm, humid air suitable for growing plants. The very conditions that will kill guinea pigs. They come from a cooler, drier climate and the environment in a greenhouse is precisely opposite to what a guinea pig needs.

Long and short, a greenhouse is an extremely poor environment for pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.