Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing myself, my piggies, and our story

RollingInTheHay

Cavy Slave
Hi. My name is Kelsey and I am a proud piggy-mom of 4 guinea pigs: Blackie, Brownie, Brandy, and Jeffrey. Blackie recently passed away following a long battle with abscesses :sad:. His brother, Brownie, just turned 2 years old. Brandy and Jeffrey are also brothers. They are about 10 months old.

My guinea pig journey began last year when I was working at a early childhood education school/daycare. The toddler classroom I was working in had "class pets" (Blackie and Brownie). I was no guinea pig expert at the time, but I am an animal advocate and lover to the core. I knew that their living conditions were not right. I will not get into details as it makes me very upset to think about. I soon took over taking care of the guinea pigs. I worked towards getting them a bigger cage, brought them home on long weekends, and personally purchased their food and bedding. I fell in love with Blackie and Brownie and with guinea pigs in general. I decided to adopt my own. Soon after, on a Monday, I came into work and noticed a giant lump under Blackie's chin. I was able to bring him to a vet and was told that he had an abscess. From that day on, Blackie and Brownie stayed in my care, at my house, so I could properly treat Blackie (give him medications, etc.) and give him the care he needed. Remember when I said I decided to adopt my own? Well, I still did. I went to the MSPCA in my area and took home two baby brothers (8 weeks old). At the time, I thought that Blackie would get better and he and his brother Brownie would have to inevitably go back to the school so taking care of 4 guinea pigs was just a temporary thing. Weeks turned into months, and Blackie's abscess wasn't responding to the antibiotics. At that point, I emailed the owner of the school I worked at, asking if they would be willing to pay for surgery and I got a brief email back asking how much it would be to put Blackie down. I ended up asking if I could adopt both Blackie and Brownie (to keep them together) and I would take any financial burden going forward. They said yes. So, in an instant, I owned 4 guinea pigs. My entire life changed. Everything I did was for them. I did everything in my power to make sure that Blackie (and all my other guinea pigs) had the best life possible. About 6 months after I first brought Blackie to the vet, it was time to let him rest. He was the strongest, happiest, sweetest guinea pig I could have ever asked for. Although I could not "fix" him, I know that I gave him the best life he could have had.

I no longer work for the school that I adopted Blackie and Brownie from. I still have Brownie, Jeffrey, and Brandy. Jeffrey developed an abscess less than a month after Blackie passed. It ended up being the same pathogen that Blackie had. I flushed and drained Jeffrey's abscess(es) at home and medicated him. Luckily his abscesses healed without surgery and they have not came back since. Now I have 3 happy and healthy guinea pigs. I left out the lengthly details of Blackie's surgeries (he had 2) and treatment, but I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has, if it can help another guinea pig.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Your story made me tear up. Thank you so much for offering these boys the loving, attentive home that you have given them, and welcome to the forum! Fingers crossed there will be no more abscesses for you to tackle.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum family, Kelsey. Thank you for taking those boys in, and giving them the best home and care you possibly can. Not only that, but you added to your herd! Blackie and Brownie must have really had an impact on you to expand.

Hoping there are no more issues for any of your boys and they have happy, healthy lives.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Welcome Kelsey! What a beautiful, sad and lovely story all at once. What lucky boys these are to have such a loving mom! And may Blackie join all the other GP's gallivanting in fresh green grass and hay fields ��.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Hello and Welcome, Kelsey :). Your story is both sad, and heartwarming. Thank you for rescuing Blackie and Brownie, and for fighting so hard to make Blackie well again. Blackie has gone on to greener pastures over the rainbow bridge now, while you still have 3 piggies you are loving and caring for. Great job on clearing up Jeffrey's abscess yourself too :).

RollingInTheHay

Cavy Slave
Your story made me tear up. Thank you so much for offering these boys the loving, attentive home that you have given them, and welcome to the forum! Fingers crossed there will be no more abscesses for you to tackle.

Thank you for the kind and warm welcome. And for taking a moment to read our story :) Best wishes to you and your cavy family!

RollingInTheHay

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum family, Kelsey. Thank you for taking those boys in, and giving them the best home and care you possibly can. Not only that, but you added to your herd! Blackie and Brownie must have really had an impact on you to expand.

Hoping there are no more issues for any of your boys and they have happy, healthy lives.

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words. Best of wishes to you and your furry family! :)

RollingInTheHay

Cavy Slave
Welcome Kelsey! What a beautiful, sad and lovely story all at once. What lucky boys these are to have such a loving mom! And may Blackie join all the other GP's gallivanting in fresh green grass and hay fields ��.

Thank you so much! Your kind words have truly warmed my heart ��

RollingInTheHay

Cavy Slave
Hello and Welcome, Kelsey :). Your story is both sad, and heartwarming. Thank you for rescuing Blackie and Brownie, and for fighting so hard to make Blackie well again. Blackie has gone on to greener pastures over the rainbow bridge now, while you still have 3 piggies you are loving and caring for. Great job on clearing up Jeffrey's abscess yourself too :).

Thank you so much! Your thoughtful comment meant a lot to me :love:

hmchen

Cavy Gazer
At that point, I emailed the owner of the school I worked at, asking if they would be willing to pay for surgery and I got a brief email back asking how much it would be to put Blackie down. I ended up asking if I could adopt both Blackie and Brownie (to keep them together) and I would take any financial burden going forward. They said yes. So, in an instant, I owned 4 guinea pigs. My entire life changed. Everything I did was for them. I did everything in my power to make sure that Blackie (and all my other guinea pigs) had the best life possible. About 6 months after I first brought Blackie to the vet, it was time to let him rest. He was the strongest, happiest, sweetest guinea pig I could have ever asked for. Although I could not "fix" him, I know that I gave him the best life he could have had.

Had a very similar experience with my first piggies, Wilson and Carl. They both fell ill in the school where my mom taught and I assumed all care and responsibility for them. They recovered and rallied for six months before Wilson passed, then Carl. I loved them dearly and they taught me so much. I just recently adopted a trio of girls and I think of them everyday! Glad to meet another person whose piggies just kinda happened to them. Sometimes the best bonds are just thrust upon you.

RollingInTheHay

Cavy Slave
Had a very similar experience with my first piggies, Wilson and Carl. They both fell ill in the school where my mom taught and I assumed all care and responsibility for them. They recovered and rallied for six months before Wilson passed, then Carl. I loved them dearly and they taught me so much. I just recently adopted a trio of girls and I think of them everyday! Glad to meet another person whose piggies just kinda happened to them. Sometimes the best bonds are just thrust upon you.

Wilson and Carl were so lucky to have you! I totally get what you're saying. My bond with Blackie was unlike any I've ever had. Best of luck with your girlies - that's awesome!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.