Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Worried About A Possibly Depressed and

thequeenofpigs

Cavy Slave
*title got cut off, originally said 'Worried About A Possibly Depressed & Bloated Boar'

I'm currently concerned about my 3-year-old boar, Gunther.

I recently just moved him (& my two other guinea pigs) to a new cage, less than two days ago. And ever since he's been in his new cage, he hasn't been acting like his usual self.

He's less active, he's not socializing with his cagemates. For a majority of today, he's been lying down in one corner of the cage. Today in the morning however, he seemed to be doing just fine. This sort of depressed, lethargic behavior began to show up today in the afternoon. He's only nibbled a bit on his hay and I haven't seen him drink much water either. Could the new cage be the reason he's acting so strangely? Or is it something else?

Also, it was only a few hours ago that I noticed that he seemed to be very round. He's always been a pretty big guy, definitely not overweight though, but I'm certain that he might be bloated. If he is bloated, I definitely want to know what could've caused it. So far, the only vegetables he's eaten today include romaine lettuce, bell pepper, and cucumber. Could I have accidentally overfed him?

The reason I write this is to hear the thoughts and opinions of fellow guinea pig lovers. I definitely plan on taking Gunther to a vet if such behavior continues, to make sure that he's happy and healthy.

Thank you in advance!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Could the new cage be the reason he's acting so strangely? Or is it something else?

Who knows? Cavies can get freaked out for the strangest reasons. It's difficult to overfeed a cavy with vegetables. Cucumber can sometimes cause gas so that could be a possibility.

I would immediately head to a pharmacy and get some simethicone drops which are marketed as children's gas drops. Give him an entire dropper a couple times a day. If he does indeed have gas, he should have relief within 24-48 hours.

If it is gas, lightly thump his belly and it may sound hollow. If you have any sort of vibrating device, even a toothbrush, wrap it in a towel and put him on it. You might also try to massage his belly by hand if he will allow it. The simethicone drops won't hurt him if it isn't gas, but that's exactly what you describe.

Get started with the drops as soon as possible. If he's not improved within 24 hours, then a Vet visit may be in order.

thequeenofpigs

Cavy Slave
I took him to the vet this morning. Thankfully, he's no longer bloated or constipated. However, I've learned that he has a respiratory infection, possibly pneumonia. I'll be giving him medicine that he's been prescribed and I've separated him from the others for the time being. Thanks for the reply!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, I wouldn't separate him. The stress of being alone can be quite high in a pig that's used to being with a herd. Whatever he's got, they've already been thoroughly exposed to. So if they're not harassing him, I'd put him back in with them.

If the medicine is an antibiotic, watch him like a hawk to make sure he's eating and pooping properly. Weigh him daily at the same time of day, preferably before breakfast, so you can be sure he's taking in enough food and is maintaining his weight. He MUST eat, whether he wants to or not, so if he stops, you'll have to force feed him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.