Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Goodbye Chewy

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
My 6 year old piggy Chewy died today. He ate his veggies, he seemed totally fine so I decided to clean his cage and give him a bath. I lowered his back feet in the bath like I always do, then suddenly he started flailing around and couldn't stand up. I put him on a towel to the side and he flopped over and looked like he was struggling to breathe. He was trying to take a deep breath but couldn't. I knew then he was dying and there wasn't anything for me to do. Not enough time to do anything. I laid him in a box with soft fleece surrounding him as he lay on his side and tried to take his last few breaths. The whole ordeal only took maybe 2 minutes and he was gone.

I don't know what caused this to happen, I think the bath stress pushed him over the edge but I did what I've always done, and I've been giving him a bath once every 2 weeks. I just hope he didn't feel pain in his last moments. He lived a long happy life with me but it's time to say goodbye. Thank you for living for so long piggy I will miss you.

Attachments

011.jpg 004.jpg 009.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost him. I'm sure the bath didn't do anything to him -- sounds like he might have had a stroke or a heart attack. Please don't blame yourself.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Thank you [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]. That's what I thought too. I now have no piggies left, just a elderly dog to care for. Of course I will get more pets in the future but just wanted to thank you for being so helpful on these forums over the years.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm very, very sorry about your loss of Chewy. It does sound to me also that he likely had a stroke or a heart attack, and nothing that you did.

You were there for him in his last few moments, and he knew that. He had a long wonderful life with you and I know he appreciated it.

Rest in peace, Chewy. Enjoy your time at the Bridge waiting until you're come for.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So sorry. My deepest sympathies to you. I lost my Mooshy on 9/6 and it stings. Take comfort in knowing you did a great job with him. xx

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
What a handsome fellow! Run free over the Rainbow Bridge, Chewy! :love:

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a gorgeous boy he was.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry for your loss. RIP little Chewy.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost him, he was a handsome fella. He lived a long and happy life with you, I think it was just his time. Run free at the bridge, sweet, little, Chewy :love:

kcake67

Cavy Slave
Sorry for your loss. I have been so lucky to not have to deal with the loss of a guinea pig, but I have lost hamsters in the past, and know how hard it is.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I am so so very sorry for your loss. This is exactly what happened to me with Inga back in August. I am certain it was a heart attack. It was over very quickly, just the same as Chewy.

Run free, sweet Chewy. Enjoy all the grass and sweet things to nibble while you wait at the Bridge for your human to come home to you.

Sending love and wheeks from myself, Freyja, Frigga, Artemis and Luna.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.