Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is my piggie pregnant?

PeachandDaisy

Cavy Slave
I've seen a lot of posts like this and I wish this kind of thing wasn't so common just because of ignorant owners having a male and a female together... Anyways I adopted my girls from a lady who was getting rid of a set of piggies (4 Pigs, the mother, father, and two sisters.) And she's always been a bit 'rounder' then her sister and I wonder if she could be pregnant.. If the lady kept the whole family together and the male piggie wasn't neutered (which is a possible scenario) Then its extremely plausible that she could be.. Take a look at these pictures of her (She is 4 months old)

IMG_7986.jpgIMG_7987.jpgIMG_7989.jpg

Please talk about your conclusions I'm pretty worried about it.. (Of course if she is I will keep her and as many of her babies as I can..)

Jandthepigsquad

Cavy Slave
I believe everyone who adopts a female guinea pig wonders if they are pregnant, especially if they are on the rounder side. I would take her to your vet for a well checkup. The doctor will be able to tell you if she is pregnant or at least be able to tell you how long you would have to wait to know for sure based on when you adopted her. The gestation time is around 70 days so your doctor will use that as a guideline. If you have had her for three months, and she hasn't been around any males, then she probably isn't pregnant but I still would go to a vet to be sure.

PeachandDaisy

Cavy Slave
I believe everyone who adopts a female guinea pig wonders if they are pregnant, especially if they are on the rounder side. I would take her to your vet for a well checkup. The doctor will be able to tell you if she is pregnant or at least be able to tell you how long you would have to wait to know for sure based on when you adopted her. The gestation time is around 70 days so your doctor will use that as a guideline. If you have had her for three months, and she hasn't been around any males, then she probably isn't pregnant but I still would go to a vet to be sure.

She is four months old, however I have only had her for about a month~! Sorry if that wasn't clear lol!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, [MENTION=40201]Jandthepigsquad[/MENTION], there's no need for a vet visit to determine if a pig is pregnant unless there's a problem with the health of the pig. If the owner has the money to spend to satisfy his/her curiosity, that's one thing. But we don't generally recommend vet visits unless there's a particular need.

And, even a vet can't tell at an early stage whether the pig is pregnant. Ultrasounds are very expensive. X-rays aren't any help until the bones have mineralized, about 5-6 weeks along in the pregnancy. By that point, it's going to be obvious very soon if the pig is pregnant, or if it isn't.

Jandthepigsquad

Cavy Slave
In my opinion, you should take your pet to the vet for a well checkup when you first get them. It may not be necessary but it is a good thing to do to establish a baseline for your pet in case of any future illnesses. And at this first visit , you can bring up any concerns you have with your vet as a new pet owner such as a possible pregnancy.

Jandthepigsquad

Cavy Slave
Curiosity? My children and I go to the doctors for well checkups. Why wouldn't your pets receive the same type of care? And guinea pigs are expensive. Hay, pellets, fresh fruits and vegetables, an appropriate cage, and vet care are all things that they need and should all factor into whether or not you can afford to own them as a pet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are a LOT of teenagers on this forum who are dependent on their parents for vet care, or on earning their own money for it. They have to choose what they're going to spend money on.

There are absolutely times when a vet visit is necessary, and an owner should do whatever it takes to get the pig there. Other times, not so much. Pregnancy, unless there's a health problem, is one of those questions that will answer itself, given enough time. If the only reason a pig is going to the vet is to answer the owner's curiosity about whether there's a pregnancy, I don't see the point in spending the money.

The other issue is that if every response we give to an issue that comes up is "go to the vet," our recommendations won't be taken seriously. I try very hard to sort out the issues that need immediate medical attention from those that can be treated by the owner from those that don't need anything at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.