Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Wound above eye

foxcast

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I've recently gotten two boars and they been together about a week. I'm a first time owner so I'm not too sure how they're suppose to interact together but they can usually be in the same hidey together but sometimes Skunk (the older one) will purr when Odin comes too close to him, other than that I've never seen any other signs of aggression but I noticed yesterday that Odin has a cut above his eye. I'm not sure if it's something that he could have done himself by grooming or scratching it on something in the cage or whether it's concern for the pair to be fighting. Here's pictures of both of his eyes, Odin isn't quite use to me yet so I apologize if the pictures aren't the best.
20170914_161204.jpg
20170914_161220.jpg
P.s sorry if the cage looks messy in the first picture, it was right before a clean haha

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Get all hideys with one door out of the cage, or cut another hole in them. They're just an invitation for exactly the kind of wound you see -- one pig traps another in the hidey, and gets its face slashed for its efforts.

Also, that appears to be a pet store cage, and if so, it's not nearly large enough for two boars. The largest cages available in pet stores that I know about are eight square feet or less, and two boars need at least 11-12 square feet, and more is better.

foxcast

Cavy Slave
They're currently in a midwest with another on the way for more room and the other hideout also has two entrances in it but I'll order another one with the entrances further apart just to be safe. Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.