Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

New Rescue Owner

Hello me and my girlfriend recently (Sunday) rescued a Guinea Pig from an abandoned apartment. I bought him a new cage yesterday because the one we got him with was very filthy. My question is actually a few questions first: Can I clean some of his poop while he is in the cage? Like I know I'll have to do a weekly cleaning but between that time should it be okay? 2nd he has a spot behind his ear it could be a bald spot but we are taking him to the vet no matter what, any Guinea pig vets in Indianapolis you know of? 3rd we think he might've not gotten any love from the previous owner he is a male non neutered do you think he can still trust us? We've been feeding him greens, hay, and guinea pig pellets. My final question is should we get him fleece instead of bedding, I've heard that is better. Sorry for the long question I just want this guy to have a happy life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Re: New Rescue Owner

Hi, first of all, welcome to the forum and thank you SO much for rescuing this little one, he obviously desperately needed you.

Spot cleaning poops while he's in there is fine, He will become used to your presence in the cage and will likely over time start coming to check you out/sniff/lick/nibble you or try to interfere with your cleaning because he thinks it's a game.

The bald spot behind his ear is probably fine. Guinea pigs are actually bald behind their ears and also on the inside of their front legs, the patches on their legs are quite small, but the ones behind their ears are about the size of a thumbprint. It's more obvious in shirt haired pigs than long haired ones. It;s still a very very good idea to take him to the vets. If you use the vet locator on the bar at the top of the forum you will be able to find your nearest exotic vet in your area.

Third, absolutely he can learn to trust you, with enough patience and care. Most guinea pigs are extremely forgiving after mistreatment in my experience, and once with a loving, attentive owner will become personable and interactive, quicker than you might think too. You'll likely be rewarded with wheeks within a few days at the sound of vegetable packets rustling or the fridge opening, which is just the most wonderful thing.

As for bedding, I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I'm a -big- fleece fan, because it's very easy to clean the cage, it's cost effective and my girls seem to enjoy it. I have a very large cage so it just makes sense to me than the gruelling task of dealing with litre upon litre of carefresh/shavings. But I know plenty of people here opt for carefresh or shavings. I suggest you spend some time researching the forum, perhaps when he is settled experiment with a small corner of fleece in the cage and go from there.

Have a look at the below link, it will give you lots of helpful information on caring for your new family member:

http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

Also, take a look at the below vegetable table to give you a better idea of what veggies are best to feed him:

http://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

Also, just something to consider later down the line (I appreciate you have a lot on your plate at the moment with this rescue) but guinea pigs do do better with friends. Once you've got him settled, had him accurately sexed to make sure he is a boy and not a girl, and you're confident in how to take care of him, I would suggest looking at adopting a friend for him.

3. "Thank you, wigglemish, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockzilla77 View Post
    Hello me and my girlfriend recently (Sunday) rescued a Guinea Pig from an abandoned apartment. I bought him a new cage yesterday because the one we got him with was very filthy. My question is actually a few questions first: Can I clean some of his poop while he is in the cage? Like I know I'll have to do a weekly cleaning but between that time should it be okay? 2nd he has a spot behind his ear it could be a bald spot but we are taking him to the vet no matter what, any Guinea pig vets in Indianapolis you know of? 3rd we think he might've not gotten any love from the previous owner he is a male non neutered do you think he can still trust us? We've been feeding him greens, hay, and guinea pig pellets. My final question is should we get him fleece instead of bedding, I've heard that is better. Sorry for the long question I just want this guy to have a happy life.

Hey! So glad to hear you rescued a sweet piggy rather than buying one ! You'll need to do a "spot clean" everyday. What I do with my pig is, put him in his little bed and put him on my dresser, he loves to watch me clean. I quickly remove his toys and food from his bed and then take his fleece blanket and shake the blanket outside to get rid of poop. I am completely for fleece bedding, and GuineaDad is a great company I highly recommend you buy from him even high he's a little pricy! (i'm attaching a link)
    https://www.guineadad.com
    This fleece is bamboo so it keeps bed dry for a week (no other fleece does that and it's way more hygienic than Uhaul bedding), and it has a burrow pocket that piggies love

Next, guinea pigs have a natural balding behind the ears this is normal and healthy. GuineaLynx is a great source for lots of your questions :-)

Last, I have a single male guinea pig as well and he kept to himself when I first adopted him but now his personality truly shines. However I think I will adopt another one because they are social pets and really need a friend.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,170 Rec'd/5,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3741 Post(s)

Welcome! And thanks for taking this guy in.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ur-guinea-pigs!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wigglemish View Post
    Hi, first of all, welcome to the forum and thank you SO much for rescuing this little one, he obviously desperately needed you.

Spot cleaning poops while he's in there is fine, He will become used to your presence in the cage and will likely over time start coming to check you out/sniff/lick/nibble you or try to interfere with your cleaning because he thinks it's a game.

The bald spot behind his ear is probably fine. Guinea pigs are actually bald behind their ears and also on the inside of their front legs, the patches on their legs are quite small, but the ones behind their ears are about the size of a thumbprint. It's more obvious in shirt haired pigs than long haired ones. It;s still a very very good idea to take him to the vets. If you use the vet locator on the bar at the top of the forum you will be able to find your nearest exotic vet in your area.

Third, absolutely he can learn to trust you, with enough patience and care. Most guinea pigs are extremely forgiving after mistreatment in my experience, and once with a loving, attentive owner will become personable and interactive, quicker than you might think too. You'll likely be rewarded with wheeks within a few days at the sound of vegetable packets rustling or the fridge opening, which is just the most wonderful thing.

As for bedding, I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. I'm a -big- fleece fan, because it's very easy to clean the cage, it's cost effective and my girls seem to enjoy it. I have a very large cage so it just makes sense to me than the gruelling task of dealing with litre upon litre of carefresh/shavings. But I know plenty of people here opt for carefresh or shavings. I suggest you spend some time researching the forum, perhaps when he is settled experiment with a small corner of fleece in the cage and go from there.

Have a look at the below link, it will give you lots of helpful information on caring for your new family member:

http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

Also, take a look at the below vegetable table to give you a better idea of what veggies are best to feed him:

http://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

Also, just something to consider later down the line (I appreciate you have a lot on your plate at the moment with this rescue) but guinea pigs do do better with friends. Once you've got him settled, had him accurately sexed to make sure he is a boy and not a girl, and you're confident in how to take care of him, I would suggest looking at adopting a friend for him.
    Thank you so much

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samsterlacci View Post
    Hey! So glad to hear you rescued a sweet piggy rather than buying one ! You'll need to do a "spot clean" everyday. What I do with my pig is, put him in his little bed and put him on my dresser, he loves to watch me clean. I quickly remove his toys and food from his bed and then take his fleece blanket and shake the blanket outside to get rid of poop. I am completely for fleece bedding, and GuineaDad is a great company I highly recommend you buy from him even high he's a little pricy! (i'm attaching a link)
    This fleece is bamboo so it keeps bed dry for a week (no other fleece does that and it's way more hygienic than Uhaul bedding), and it has a burrow pocket that piggies love

Next, guinea pigs have a natural balding behind the ears this is normal and healthy. GuineaLynx is a great source for lots of your questions :-)

Last, I have a single male guinea pig as well and he kept to himself when I first adopted him but now his personality truly shines. However I think I will adopt another one because they are social pets and really need a friend.

Thank you and he's cute haha

Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)