Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression My winnie is being picked on :( should i keep her alone? Forever?

momofallthings

Cavy Slave
So i adopted 3 female piggies about a month ago. Everything seemed to be fine but today while moving them to a larger cage i made for them I noticed that one of them has a decent bite mark near her tushy and is missing about a golf ball sized circle of hair there, shes a long hair so it was hard to see. . I havr seperated them and now have two in one cage and 1 in the other. I know they live better in pairs so now im wondering if i should try to get a 4th so my little winnie (the one being picked on) has a friend?? Or should i leave her alone? Not sure what i should do. Any advice wouldbe great!! Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How big was their cage? Lack of space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression. They might be able to live happily in a larger cage. Or, you can get her a buddy. But she doesn't need to be by herself.

momofallthings

Cavy Slave
They had a significant cage. Bottom was about 5'x3', and top flor was about 2'x3'.
I kept them seperate and winnie seems to be doing alot better without mary and sarah. Now the new cage has been split into two. Winnies cage is about 5x5. And then Sarah and Mary have 2 levels. 4x5 and top being 3x5.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
They had a significant cage. Bottom was about 5'x3', and top flor was about 2'x3'.
I kept them seperate and winnie seems to be doing alot better without mary and sarah. Now the new cage has been split into two. Winnies cage is about 5x5. And then Sarah and Mary have 2 levels. 4x5 and top being 3x5.

Despite use of the upper level, it doesn't get counted it in sq footage because it's about bottom around room to run around, and while your newer cage is MUCH larger - the one you had them in first was just a bit larger than recommended for 3 piggies. Why not have them in a much larger space to begin with?

But, if Winnie really seems to be doing better, maybe she does just need a new cagemate.

momofallthings

Cavy Slave
It was my first time making a cage and after awhile i wanted them to have more :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.