Thread: My winnie is being picked on :( should i keep her alone? Forever?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

My winnie is being picked on :( should i keep her alone? Forever?

So i adopted 3 female piggies about a month ago. Everything seemed to be fine but today while moving them to a larger cage i made for them I noticed that one of them has a decent bite mark near her tushy and is missing about a golf ball sized circle of hair there, shes a long hair so it was hard to see. . I havr seperated them and now have two in one cage and 1 in the other. I know they live better in pairs so now im wondering if i should try to get a 4th so my little winnie (the one being picked on) has a friend?? Or should i leave her alone? Not sure what i should do. Any advice wouldbe great!! Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,744 Rec'd/5,333 Posts
    Mentioned
    1931 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3392 Post(s)

Re: My winnie is being picked on :( should i keep her alone? Forever?

How big was their cage? Lack of space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression. They might be able to live happily in a larger cage. Or, you can get her a buddy. But she doesn't need to be by herself.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

They had a significant cage. Bottom was about 5'x3', and top flor was about 2'x3'.
    I kept them seperate and winnie seems to be doing alot better without mary and sarah. Now the new cage has been split into two. Winnies cage is about 5x5. And then Sarah and Mary have 2 levels. 4x5 and top being 3x5.

Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by momofallthings View Post
    They had a significant cage. Bottom was about 5'x3', and top flor was about 2'x3'.
    I kept them seperate and winnie seems to be doing alot better without mary and sarah. Now the new cage has been split into two. Winnies cage is about 5x5. And then Sarah and Mary have 2 levels. 4x5 and top being 3x5.
    Despite use of the upper level, it doesn't get counted it in sq footage because it's about bottom around room to run around, and while your newer cage is MUCH larger - the one you had them in first was just a bit larger than recommended for 3 piggies. Why not have them in a much larger space to begin with?

But, if Winnie really seems to be doing better, maybe she does just need a new cagemate.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

It was my first time making a cage and after awhile i wanted them to have more

User Tag List