Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Washing Fleece Question - New Guinea Pig Owner

Hello all! I have been researching guinea pigs for the past 6 months (including reading some incredibly helpful posts here!) and a week ago I was approved by a rescue to adopt two little boy guinea pigs who are already happily bonded roommates! We pick them up this Sunday, so I am working on getting prepared for them. I am planning to do fleece with wood pellets underneath. I purchased the fleece yesterday (100% polyester, anti-pill). I cut the fleece in half, and I washed one of the pieces four times according to instructions I had seen (washed in warm, dried low, no fabric softener or dryer sheets). The other piece I haven't yet washed at all. I then put a towel underneath and poured a bit of water on top of each piece. I assumed that the water on the unwashed piece would bead on top and the water on the washed piece would go through to the towel, but in fact the opposite happened! On the piece that I had washed and dried four times, the water beaded on top and never soaked through, and on the piece I hadn't washed at all, the water went through to the towel in about 2 seconds. I know that I didn't get the two pieces of fleece mixed up because they are in completely different parts of my house. Does anyone have any idea why this happened? I am happy to use the unwashed fleece in my cage for now but this will only be a temporary solution since the fleece will get washed eventually and then, presumably, the same problem will occur. Has anyone had an experience like this? Any thoughts? Thanks so much!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Re: Washing Fleece Question - New Guinea Pig Owner

My question would be what detergent did you use to wash them? I've found the cheaper, non scented ones work the best. Some detergents still have softening agents in them, even if they are not listed as a 2 in 1.Also, I have found doing a very hot wash works well on breaking the barrier down as well.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you, wigglemish for your reply. I'm thinking that maybe my detergent is the issue. It's an organic detergent. Perhaps I should go with a more standard detergent instead. I also have an HE washer, and the items I wash don't get as wet and don't get sudsy. So I'm wondering if going to a Laundromat would work better so that I can use a standard washer.

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,940 Rec'd/5,500 Posts
    Mentioned
    1959 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3573 Post(s)

You need a strong detergent, hot water, and bleach or vinegar. Fleece is nearly indestructible, and won't be harmed by that until after several years of washing with it.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you! I am going to re-wash today with a regular detergent, rather than my organic one.

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Try "All" Free and clear, do a second rinse, with white vinegar added. This is the method we use, and so far haven't encountered any problems

User Tag List