Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Balding and mites?

So I had recently made a post about one of my pigs Edgar, who had a bald patch that looked clean and un inflamed, but as I was applying some cream to it yesterday I noticed possible hair regrowth which is good, however I also saw what looked like mites or something at the bottom of the shafts of fur around the head area. I attached two pics. The bald patch is Edgar, and the 'mites' are on Clarence who has them too (Edgar is a fussy pig and wouldn't sit still). Im trying to find a cavy savvy vet but would anyone know what the deal is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170912_184502.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	83489

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170912_184226.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	83490

Thanks
    Thanks
    707 Rec'd/539 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    457 Post(s)

Re: Balding and mites?

Mites can't be seen with the naked eye. Those look more like lice nits to me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Mites are microscopic, like GPP says though, they can get lice which are visible with the naked eye and are too a a parasite causing itching/scabbing/hairloss/discomfort to your piggie. Ivermectin can be used to treat this, just the same as with mites. Please see the below link on lice from guinea lynx with advice on how to treat:

http://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html

Treatment of parasites is cyclical, requiring usually 3 weekly doses of ivermectin to kill off any fresh batches that will hatch from eggs already on the skin/hair follicles.

You also need to adopt -stringent- hygiene to prevent reinfestation. If they are on fleece boil wash with white vinegar. If they are on loose bedding, change this frequently. All hay needs to be removed and refreshed at least once a day. Any wooden/porous houses or toys need to be thrown away. Clean the cage with white vinegar as well. I can see you are wearing gloves, which is great. I would suggest having a guinea pig apron while handling, which is what we've done in the past when treating animals who have had mites, to prevent spreading via human clothing.
    Last edited by wigglemish; 09-13-17 at 07:27 am.

4. "Thank you, wigglemish, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

This will sound stupid but how do you boil wash?

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Just put it on the highest possible temperature setting on your washing machine. Mine has 90 degrees centigrade, which will kill anything and everything. Put a few capfuls of white vinegar in the drawer of the machine along with your detergent, this is an added antibacterial and also acidic which will help kill eggs. (Also, for future reference, it's a very good odour controller, I use this every time I was piggy fleece, it's perfectly safe for little ones).

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Actually, if you use a clothes dryer, you don't need to do anything other than wash and dry the bedding.

You also don't have to throw anything away -- that's when you're dealing with fungus. Four weekly treatments of ivermectin will hit all the life cycle of the lice, and will take care of them.

8. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Actually, if you use a clothes dryer, you don't need to do anything other than wash and dry the bedding.
    This is really useful to know, I don't have a dryer but I am actually being given one this weekend. Will file that valuable nugget of information away.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

So does anyone know any useful resources for calculating ivermictin dosages? All my pigs are at least 2lbs and i don't want to kill then I really can't find anything other than advantage II

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

What country are you in? Beaphar do an ivermectin for guinea pigs, but I don't know if this is only available in the uk.

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2488

Very indepth thread on the guinea lynx forums for dosing. The OP discusses Advantage

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I'm in the US. The article you posted about advantage says not to use advantage II but that's all that seems to be on shelves, and Amazon has bupkus

Thanks
    Thanks
    512 Rec'd/432 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quoted
    247 Post(s)

You want this kind of Ivermectin https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Iverme.../dp/B00JAL3AAW

That product has an ivermectin concentration of 5mg/mL so this chart shows the correct dosage rates for that kind of Ivermectin http://www.guinealynx.info/topical_i...n_pour-on.html

You don't want to use Advantage II they changed the formula so it is no longer considered safe for guinea pigs due to some of the new ingredients. You won't be able to find the original kind of Advantage as they discontinued production of it several years ago.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Does anyone ever look at the medical forum for information there? Here's a handy thread on treating pigs with ivermectin: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...mites-and-lice

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Thanks all for the info. I ordered the stuff bpatters linked, so hopefully next week I can start treating my boys

User Tag List