Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Is sneezing normal?

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
One of my piggies has been sneezing a bit. Not every single day, but just occasionally. Is it normal or should I take her to the vet?

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Piggies will sneeze from time to time, they snuffle about in hay etc which can get into their noses.

Are there any other symptoms? How are her eyes? Any runny/crusty nose? Are her nostrils flaring? Any popping/hooting sounds?

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Her eyes and nose are fine. I don't know what the "popping/hooting" sound would sound like, but I don't think I've heard anything out of the ordinary. She's drinking, eating, and pooping well and wheeks a lot. Overall, what I think should be a happy healthy piggie. Only the sneezing was concerning. I'm going to try and find some info on the "popping/hooting" sound though.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Ok, my pigs sneezed a lot today. I'm actually not sure who it is, but one of them (or both of them) were sneezing.

Jackiebernal

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig has been sneezing a lot lately. I got her two weeks ago, I don't see anything wrong with her weight, eyes, or nose. Ive been worried for her and dont know why shes been sneezing a lot

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may have an upper respiratory infection, or she may be sneezing from the dust in the hay.

Are her eyes/nose runny? Is she eating/pooping normally? Does she run around normally, or is she just sitting/laying around? If she's showing any other signs of illness, she needs to see an exotic vet. They can go downhill very quickly.

Where do you get your hay? If you're buying it in small sacks from a pet store or someplace like Target/Walmart, it's probably dry and dusty. You could try a better quality of hay, and see if that makes any difference.

Jackiebernal

Cavy Gazer
She seems healthy, shes been sneezing a lot for a few days now. I also give her floor time, and she still sneezes

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.