Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

RIP Mooshy My Love

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Gone but never ever will be forgotten. I had surgery 9/1 and had taken her to a place that has great reviews for boarding. They only have rescues up for adoption. Place is called Andy's Pet Shop in San Jose. I took Mooshy there 2 days before my surgery to be boarded for a week before my surgery. Surgery was rougher than last but I'm ok. I stayed at my friend's place and was going to get her this past Wed and come home.

Wed afternoon my phone started to act very weird. On, off for an hour. Never seen such a thing. Like a message was trying to be received. Then it died. Not the battery. Was just charged. Friend saw it too and thought very strange. Took of to San Jose (from Fremont) and got there at 7 pm. Went to the 2 x 3 C & C cage I had set up with her stuff in it. She was in her igloo looking like she was asleep. Didn't take long when I lifted the igloo to find she's not asleep, she's dead. Vet did necropsy on Fri and sent me an email saying she found nothing wrong with her. She was very healthy. She wasn't dehydrated nor was she low on food in her gut. She just passed for unknown reason. It all came together. I was with Mooshy 24/7 as I'm disabled and doted on her a million times a day. If I wasn't sleeping, I was interacting with her who was in the cage next to my couch where I live and slept. She went from living the highest life with me on schedule and tuned in to her 24/7 to where they checked on her/fed her twice a day. She waited for me and finally tried calling me and that explains the phone acting crazy then dying an hour later- time of death close to when my phone died. The guilt I feel is tremendous. She tried calling me and finally just gave up. She lost her "perfect" life with me as everyone says esp since I'm home 24/7 that any pet I get has won the lottery. She thought I left her and didn't want to go on. No known cause. She was very healthy. Not dehydrated, no lack of food in her gut. Organs, everything looked good. She was that attached to me, as I was to her. I have ordered a very nice white marble square urn with a place on the side for a photo with a small white candle and one larger black candle on top. She will be honored right smack in middle of my coffee table where I can be near her at all times. I'll post a photo of the urn once I get it. Mooshy will be sent to a pet crematory place in Napa now that the necropsy is done. Once they receive the urn I got her they will put her ashes in it and ship it to me.

RIP my beloved. Never will you be replaced or forgotten until I die. You were the only one with me 24/7 from unemployment woes to disability woes to cancer woes. One look at your cute face and life seems ok and just maybe I can keep up the fight. I'm lost without you my love and will seek you every night before I go to sleep for strength and guidance. May God bless you and may you be in heaven with everything your little heart desires. Love you so so much and miss you forever... :( <3

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I'm so very very sorry. You clearly loved your little one very much and she you.

Losing one so suddenly like that is a horrible shock. You mustn't feel guilty, you clearly made her the centre of your world. As someone said to me recently, when they go suddenly like that, there's usually something genetic going on and nothing you could have done. You provided the best possible life for her and that is all she could have asked for her.

I'm sure she will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge, nibbling on grass and playing with her new friends there until the two of you are together again.

Sending lots of love and wheeks from me, Freyja, Frigga, Artemis and Luna xxx

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh, Artista, not Mooshy!!!

I am so, so sorry. No words. I know how much you loved that little girl. Your heart must be torn in two.

Sly, Punkin and Scooter send their wheeks and grumbles to you in the hopes that you find some comfort in them. Rest in peace, Mooshy. Play with your new friends, and enjoy all the delicious greens until momma comes to get you....

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss. This has been a bad weekend, a few longtime members have lost pigs.

I can't imagine the pain of losing her like that, just know she had the absolute best life imaginable with you. Rest easy, Mooshy.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. I go from joy in my heart with this new baby Abby to utter grief and despair over Mooshy. Such a wild fluctuation. It's like losing your oldest kid and then you have a baby. While it helps some with the psyche, you never forget the older one who's been with you through unemployment, disability, mental meltdowns and cancer. Very laid back she was. She had a watch and would appear on her kitchen's doorstep, paws up on the "wall" doing her cute stare down begging thing but if after awhile I can't get to her she'd quietly go back to her igloo. Never a screamer. Only did the wheeks when I was up and going to the fridge rattling the veggie bags. I used to play with the stripe on top of her head, making tree branches. She was so soft. Her vet had her a week at a time a couple times during my cancer stuff. When I wasn't doing well, all of the sudden there's a little blood on the fleece. Off to the vet I go. UTI. Get antibiotics. I'm on antibiotics, we are both on antibiotics. I looked back on my vet receipts on her and EVERY time I had an issue, so did she. The most amazing thing I ever saw, well except for the phone stuff on the day she died.

Thanks again folks. I'll probably write more but I'm off to my second post op appt soon. I'm just please this little one has taken in a few very small pieces of green peppers and the pellets I had for Mooshy along with a little hay. Baby steps, pun intended. :)

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. I go from joy in my heart with this new baby Abby to utter grief and despair over Mooshy. Such a wild fluctuation. It's like losing your oldest kid and then you have a baby. While it helps some with the psyche, you never forget the older one who's been with you through unemployment, disability, mental meltdowns and cancer. Very laid back she was. She had a watch and would appear on her kitchen's doorstep, paws up on the "wall" doing her cute stare down begging thing but if after awhile I can't get to her she'd quietly go back to her igloo. Never a screamer. Only did the wheeks when I was up and going to the fridge rattling the veggie bags. I used to play with the stripe on top of her head, making tree branches. She was so soft. Her vet had her a week at a time a couple times during my cancer stuff. When I wasn't doing well, all of the sudden there's a little blood on the fleece. Off to the vet I go. UTI. Get antibiotics. I'm on antibiotics, we are both on antibiotics. I looked back on my vet receipts on her and EVERY time I had an issue, so did she. The most amazing thing I ever saw, well except for the phone stuff on the day she died.

Thanks again folks. I'll probably write more but I'm off to my second post op appt soon. I'm just please this little one has taken in a few very small pieces of green peppers and the pellets I had for Mooshy along with a little hay. Baby steps, pun intended. :)

I can sympathise so much with those swivelling emotions. We only just lost Crumbs two weeks ago, and 6 days after she passed, Artie and Luna came into our lives. I pendulum between joy at seeing them doing so well and horrible grief over Crumbs, as well as an intense guilt over the fact that I am enjoying spending time with Artie and Luna when Crumbs is gone.

It will settle down. I had the same in March after Pompom and Siggy passed and we adopted Freyja. It took about a month for my emotions to straighten out. Just think how pleased Mooshy would be that all the love you gave her will be passed on to another deserving piggie. She wouldn't want you to sit in loneliness and sadness. You clearly dote on your animal companions, Mooshy was a very lucky girl and so is your new friend.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I can sympathise so much with those swivelling emotions. We only just lost Crumbs two weeks ago, and 6 days after she passed, Artie and Luna came into our lives. I pendulum between joy at seeing them doing so well and horrible grief over Crumbs, as well as an intense guilt over the fact that I am enjoying spending time with Artie and Luna when Crumbs is gone.

It will settle down. I had the same in March after Pompom and Siggy passed and we adopted Freyja. It took about a month for my emotions to straighten out. Just think how pleased Mooshy would be that all the love you gave her will be passed on to another deserving piggie. She wouldn't want you to sit in loneliness and sadness. You clearly dote on your animal companions, Mooshy was a very lucky girl and so is your new friend.
So sorry for your loss too. I don't have kids so my pets are my kids in every way as much as a human would be. Crushing. Well wishes to you too. :)

Mooshy will remain my avatar for the foreseeable future everywhere I have her as one. I may change the photos so you guys can see different photos of her.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Exactly the same here. I wish you two all the best in the world ♥

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Mooshy! :love: You were obviously loved beyond words.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Oh no, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Mooshy was such a special pig, RIP little Mooshy.

Artista

Cavy Slave
My dear friend, I am so sorry for your loss. Through your posts and our correspondence, I feel like I know both you and Mooshy. My heart really goes out to you. Mooshy had such a wonderful life with someone who absolutely adored her.

I will always remember Mooshy and the stories you have written about her. May your beautiful girl rest in peace. :love:
Thank you dear friend. I probably would have not gone through the utter misery I went through during active cancer treatments had it not been for her. My motivation was only her, never really cared about myself as quality of life has been meh even long before cancer. I adored her beyond words, of course still do. I'll never get over it just like losing my fav uncle 2 days before her. Just feel like a cement truck ran me over twice, and with little sleep, I'm practically seeing double. This last surgery of mine on 9/1 was more complicated so it's more pain, discomfort, drainage from the sites. Bonus kick in the gut. Sept is my fav month. Fall is in the air, lots of birthdays including my own at the end of the month. No more. My second fav Oct takes it's place.

When I'm up to it I'll introduce Bella Rose (yeah, BellaVita was a bit of a mouthful) in a thread. 180 of Mooshy. This baby Aby is bouncing around popcorning and zipping around Mooshy's nice size cage when she isn't snoozing. Very spunky & lots of squeaks even when no food is involved. I'm glad they didn't get me a smooth hair that looks like Mooshy and has her laid back sitting around in the igloo all day personality. Would be harder. Fam isn't into pets, let alone exotics like gps. But Mooshy guided them into getting a baby that wouldn't be so much resemblance to her. Smart girl. Thank you again. :)

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I'm so very very sorry you lost her. It sounds like you had an amazing connection with her, and I know how painful it is to say goodbye. In time I'm sure you will have just as close a bond with your new piggy, and I know Mooshy will approve your decision to get another companion. Run free at the bridge, sweet, little, Mooshy :love:

Artista

Cavy Slave
Now that I've calmed down some to where I can think straight I decided that it would be a disservice to not share the story of what happened to my beloved Mooshy for customers and for Mooshy for a place that claims to know about guinea pigs since they have adoptables.

I gave Andy's Pet Shop in San Jose 1 star and wrote the following:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/andys-pet-shop-san-jose

I really wanted to like this place. Saw all the great reviews here. When my guinea pig's sitter was going to be away during the time I was going to have cancer related surgery, she suggested this place. I thought this is cool. They take in rescues & adopt out. My bird's exotic vet Dr. Chris Sanders of Wildwood Veterinary Hospital in Redwood City has taught classes here. His wife Dr, Diana Welsh has a hospital location in San Jose close to here.

I took my guinea pig 2 days before Labor Day weekend. It was due to be record setting temps never seen before. 100+ degrees for a few days. I go in & it's quite warm in there on 8/30. I ask about a/c to find there is none. What? You have creatures like guinea pigs in here which can heat stroke easily over 80 degrees and there's no a/c? No we have fans & frozen water bottles. My gut was telling me this isn't good for my gp who doesn't know heat. I have my place set so if it gets too warm, a/c comes on so no worries on me possible heat stroking my gp. Two people reassured me that they would keep a close eye on my gp. I repeated several times she doesn't know heat, I'm having surgery on 9/1. They kept telling me they will check on her frequently. They even have it written down on the form you fill out that if they suspect something isn't right that they'll take your pet to the vet. Awesome. Just like my gp sitter in La Honda.

I wrote down detailed instructions. I even brought her own veggies because they only provide lettuce and peppers. I brought stuff to put in the pen for her to feel like home as much as I could. She was my rock after all through all my cancer treatments for I live and am alone.

I called a few times & was told she's fine. A week later my friend & I go to pick up my beloved gp. I walk fast in anticipation of seeing her for we've never been apart for so long. I get there & call her name. Nothing. She's in the igloo looking like she's asleep. I lift it & she's stiff, eyes are sunken in. She's DEAD! After bawling our eyes out for an hour Lissa the owner looks at her clipboard on her & tells me things were done on schedule. Last check was in the am & they were getting ready to do the pm check. Mind you I got there at 7 pm. What??!! I was promised she'd be looked after closer with the record breaking heat that was happening the week she was there! You only checked on her in the am & pm despite my pleas & despite my being told no problem, we'll keep a close eye on her??!! I went from deep despair to being angry. And there was NO frozen water bottle in her pen. Where was that??! Now I'm not saying she wouldn't have died even if she was checked on for we don't know that. She was 5, in great shape. She saw Dr. Welsh a little before I boarded her here & was fine.

My issue is this. When you take in boarders you need to pay closer attention to them. These are not your pets/adoptables. These are ours. Perhaps if she would have been checked on more frequently it may have been caught early enough that she is panting or not moving much. Lift the igloo. Does she look ok? AND I had flagged them many times over on how she doesn't know heat, unlike those gps in there who may be able to adjust better. I was reassured over & over we'll keep a close eye on her. Well an am check then nothing until at least 7:30 pm is not keeping a close eye on her. Lissa didn't even say I'm sorry for your loss (probably because she was afraid she'd be admitting they dropped the ball on doing more checks on her) or nothing. Just go home & rest is what I was told by her after I said I wanted her to be sent to Wildwood Vet. They did pay for the necropsy & the path so I'll give them that. Again, I'm not accusing them of killing my gp for we don't know. The heat most certainly contributed. My thing is when you are boarding other people's pets especially under circumstances like excessive heat when people who have guinea pigs should know they are easily prone to heat stroke that they would check frequently on those boarders. I take responsibility as well in that my gut told me not to leave my guinea pig there, it's way too warm, let alone the days ahead with 100+ temps in store. Fans, open windows don't do any good in those kind of temps. Their gps survived, I'm happy about that, but mine couldn't take it & finally passed before I got there.

The place on such hot days is great for the reptiles. I'm sure they were in heaven, but the other animals not so much I'm sure. I never saw the place before this one to compare. I don't know if it had a/c or not or if the animals had larger space there and cleaner areas. This place is a very run down warehouse looking place. Not at all what I was expecting. I passed it the first time driving on that road. But I didn't want to put my surgeon & staff out just 2 days before surgery & I was anxious to get it over with. Unfortunately both Andy's Pet Shop & I let my guinea pig down for which I'll never forgive myself. RIP M

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.