Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet 3 week old abyssyn female gp diet, care info please

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi guys,
Been a while. My beloved Mooshy passed 2 months out from her 5 year old birthday. I got her at 6 mo so as an adult. I wrote the story in Rainbow Bridge. She was my life and love and will be sorely missed forever.

My fam found out about my loss and how hard it is on me (I love alone) that they found a 3 week old abyssyn female gp and showed up with the cage kit. I knew where they got it from but I was not going to send her back. She's very cute. I put her in Mooshy's 2 X 4 C & C cage and she was zooming and popcorning like mad. She was ecstatic and it made me happy to see that. Thankfully I had cleaned it down so she could go in there immediately. They had just gotten her in that day so not much time at all in the small stupid glass tank they keep them in. I'm thankful for that. So she basically came here from the breeder.

I've never had a baby. I still have Mooshy's KMS timothy hay pellets and orchard grass hay. I placed an order from KMS for alfalfa pellets and have alfalfa hay on the way as well. Will be a few days though. She has these plain pellets from the store (they only gave like 2 Tbsp worth in a dish) with no hay. So I have the pellets that came with her in the cage and put some of Mooshy's orchard grass hay in there and she has eaten some, and is drinking just fine. I tried a small piece of green pepper with no response so it will be work to get her onto veggies. Mooshy instantly took to them so it was easy, even though all she had ever seen in the store was orange slices for vit C.

So if anyone can tell me if I need to be aware of anything with a 3 week old? Work in veggies now? Alf hay and Alf pellets good enough? Needs to be in warmer conditions than 6 mo and above? I have a/c on when it's too warm for me and I'm guessing same case with her but she is only 3 weeks. Any help on the proper care would be much appreciated. I want to do right by this girl in Mooshy's memory. Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So glad you got another!

She doesn't need both alfalfa hay AND alfalfa pellets. Either one will do. Or you can feed her timothy hay and pellets and supplement with some parsley for added calcium.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/105287-How-to-teach-a-guinea-pig-to-eat-vegetables. But you do know the best way to teach a guinea pig to eat vegetables is to get another guinea pig, don't you? The best food is ALWAYS in the other pig's mouth! Start with lettuce and bell pepper, and then add others as you choose.

If she's a haired pig, she doesn't need anything else for warmth.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Although I agree, don't return her for two reasons, she's a gift and she's a living creature but she did not come from a breeder but a werehouse. Don't fool yourself on that, please.breeders actually care about their animals, I'm talking legit breeders. Not ones that want the money more. They are mills, mills just pump out animals or really how they see it, product.

Alfalfa hay and pellets for six months; 24/7. Veggies everyday. Fruit every now and again. Herbs are rich in calcium as well. I know she's going to be happy. The hay and pellets are not good enough because she will need vitamin c from veggies. I know @bpatters can give you great links.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I ordered both alf hay and alf pellets. I plan on giving the veggies with calcium that I didn't for Mooshy since she was an adult who happen to have white spots on her fleece from time to time. I'll look on the veggie chart. She ate some green leaf lettuce no problem. The green pepper thin small slice, no so that will be some work there. She is out of her igloo (which is the extra large one I had for Mooshy as much as she is out doing zoomies and popcorning. Lots of wheeks wheeks too that don't have to do with food (yet). She nibbles on the orchard grass, drinks water just fine. So it's just the veggies and hopefully when the alf pellets arrive, she'll take to those. I'm spoiled with Mooshy as she took to everything right off the bat no prob.

Is there such thing for this 3 week old as too much calcium? I assume not, but now that I can't cancel the alf hay and alf pellets I ordered online today I'd like to use it.

So same, 2 Tbsp pellets max a day? Mooshy had days she'd finish it off and others when she hardly touched it. I have Mooshy's veggies still: green lettuce, roma tomatoes, green peppers, radicchio, baby carrots which I'll chop up since it seems she isn't into the thin strips. I really hope she'll take to the green peppers. I was happy to see the green lettuce chowed down but so far, nada on green pepper. She's bouncing around. My bro and mom who brought her here always say animals hit the jackpot when they come in to my place. I dote on them like no other esp since I'm home, bored, alone and the cage is right next to the sofa where I live so tons of interaction with her.

I know having 2 is better than 1 but my situation hasn't changed. On fixed income disability, battling cancer stuff, rent going up, etc etc. I wasn't planning on getting a gp for a long while due to my deep grief. So when I opened the door to find her in a store bought cage/kit I was happy because it is very lonely in this small apt being in here alone 24/7. I have yet to see the bills on Mooshy's necropsy, cremation, bought a nice urn for her as she deserved it being my rock during my cancer stuff ($200) and having her remains shipped to me. Breaks my bank but I would never do her a disservice.

You'd think she'd be tired. She naps for a few minutes and is off zooming, drinking water, tasting some hay... very high energy. I also plan on making her an appt with Mooshy's vet for a well check visit. She looks great but I want to see if the vet sees anything.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Unlimited pellets for pigs under six months old. You can mix the alfalfa with timothy.

Did you read the vegetables link I gave you? When you dice things to put on pellets, mince them very finely so she can't help but get the taste in her mouth when she's picking up pellets.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Unlimited pellets for pigs under six months old. You can mix the alfalfa with timothy.

Did you read the vegetables link I gave you? When you dice things to put on pellets, mince them very finely so she can't help but get the taste in her mouth when she's picking up pellets.
Yes, thank you. I haven't seen her at the pellets yet but will fill up her bowl so it's under her nose. Just jets over to grab a couple strands of hay from time to time. Very high energy abby.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new family member. The advice you've been given is top notch by bpatters and the others. I've got nothing more valuable than that to contribute. I just wanted to say how pleased I am you have a new little love in your life. It is so so incredibly hard to lose a beloved furry family member, and this new baby of course could never replace Mooshy, but she will help you come to terms with her loss.

Enjoy that energy. Enjoy the excitement and happiness you are gifting one another with and the love that will grow between you. Enjoy all the wonderful years you have to come, the both of you.

Artista

Cavy Slave
@bpatters- Success! I diced up very small pieces of green pepper and put it on top of the bowl full of pellets and put a few inside the door of her igloo and she's ate a few along with a few pellets. Also put some hay there even though she's been to the kitchen to grap a couple strands then races out to the igloo. She's skittish of me and will take awhile to get used to me. Mooshy at 6 mo took 3-4 mo before she really took to me. A year in with her I was able to even vacuum her fleece while she's still in there. Got so used to my routine and me that she rarely ran, unless she saw I want to pick her up and she wasn't in the mood. I'm guessing babies are easier and with spending as much time as I did with Mooshy that she will be even more bonded to me. I read up an Abby's and out of the 10 breeds, these guys are more into humans than the other breeds, which boasts well for me.

One thing I saw this am on the fleece.. there is a very faint pinkish or peachish stain, size of a quarter. Is this normal? I have a dead phone right now but as soon as I've got that taken care of I'm going to make an appt for a well check. Just if you think its urgent I can do a drop in tomorrow and pay extra $. Would rather not do it. She's doing better than I expected for just having got her last night around 6 pm after a long day first being transported to the store and then being transported 30 min to my place.

Should I hold off on other veggies? I'm afraid she may lose interest in green peppers, the most important one for gps? She did happily eat a couple small pieces last night. Go slow or as long as she eats the peppers, which is always the breakfast menu, then ok to do more in the eve?

thanks

Artista

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new family member. The advice you've been given is top notch by bpatters and the others. I've got nothing more valuable than that to contribute. I just wanted to say how pleased I am you have a new little love in your life. It is so so incredibly hard to lose a beloved furry family member, and this new baby of course could never replace Mooshy, but she will help you come to terms with her loss.

Enjoy that energy. Enjoy the excitement and happiness you are gifting one another with and the love that will grow between you. Enjoy all the wonderful years you have to come, the both of you.
Thank you so much. I wasn't planning on having any pet for awhile since it hasn't even been a week yet that my beloved passed unexpectedly. But fam knows how huge of an animal lover I am and became concerned about my psyche if left alone in here especially with the stuff I'm battling. So they stepped in. She is really cute, spunky, zips around 100 mph in the large 2 x 4 C & C cage Mooshy had. It's going to take awhile for both of us. But I do love her the moment I saw her and am vigilant over her. I just want to get this right since I've never had a baby. Mooshy was 6 mo adult when I got her. Thanks again. You're very kind. :)

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much. I wasn't planning on having any pet for awhile since it hasn't even been a week yet that my beloved passed unexpectedly. But fam knows how huge of an animal lover I am and became concerned about my psyche if left alone in here especially with the stuff I'm battling. So they stepped in. She is really cute, spunky, zips around 100 mph in the large 2 x 4 C & C cage Mooshy had. It's going to take awhile for both of us. But I do love her the moment I saw her and am vigilant over her. I just want to get this right since I've never had a baby. Mooshy was 6 mo adult when I got her. Thanks again. You're very kind. :)

I understand what you mean about not intending to have another but it happening suddenly. i am glad your family care about you so much and know you well enough to recognize you needed this little one. They're very kind.

The lovely thing about the young ones is from my experience the trust build more quickly. Our Frigga was about 10 weeks we think when she came to us, she was a store dump, clearly someone who regretted buying... She was tiny enough she could sit in the palm of my hand. Within days at laptime she was curling up and snoozing with me while I rubbed her ears, and now she's all grown up she still does the same. A little ear rub and she is dozing fully splayed out across my chest.

Regarding that stain you've found, if it is more orangey coloured it sound like it's just pee that's oxidised. This is particularly common in young pigs and is just urine reacting with the air as it dries. Blood in pee is really quite obvious, it will be bright red or muddy brown coloured.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I understand what you mean about not intending to have another but it happening suddenly. i am glad your family care about you so much and know you well enough to recognize you needed this little one. They're very kind.

The lovely thing about the young ones is from my experience the trust build more quickly. Our Frigga was about 10 weeks we think when she came to us, she was a store dump, clearly someone who regretted buying... She was tiny enough she could sit in the palm of my hand. Within days at laptime she was curling up and snoozing with me while I rubbed her ears, and now she's all grown up she still does the same. A little ear rub and she is dozing fully splayed out across my chest.

Regarding that stain you've found, if it is more orangey coloured it sound like it's just pee that's oxidised. This is particularly common in young pigs and is just urine reacting with the air as it dries. Blood in pee is really quite obvious, it will be bright red or muddy brown coloured.
Yes. It is more peachy looking. Not sure about it having any pink. Thanks so much for sharing this info. I don't have the energy to be stressed any more than I am right now. I'll just make a next available appt for her for a new pig well check.

10 poops that I can see this am, some from last night- don't see any in the kitchen wood pellet litter. I guess I just need to take it slow as she is adjusting big time to even though she's made herself quite at home.

Thanks again friend. :)

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Yes. It is more peachy looking. Not sure about it having any pink. Thanks so much for sharing this info. I don't have the energy to be stressed any more than I am right now. I'll just make a next available appt for her for a new pig well check.

10 poops that I can see this am, some from last night- don't see any in the kitchen wood pellet litter. I guess I just need to take it slow as she is adjusting big time to even though she's made herself quite at home.

Thanks again friend. :)

Relax, you are doing great. She sounds happy, she's eating and pooping (probably more than you think, I dare say she's scoffing a few), she's playing. Also, I have experienced a couple of pigs who are slow to poop when they're settling into their new home. Freyja and Frigga actually did it to me yesterday, just over a changed cage, 3 hours without a poop, then suddenly a cloud of them! I think sometimes piggies need to get really comfortable in their surroundings before they get going with their 'movements'. They need to decide where they like doing their business the best.

Does she have a name yet, btw?

Artista

Cavy Slave
Relax, you are doing great. She sounds happy, she's eating and pooping (probably more than you think, I dare say she's scoffing a few), she's playing. Also, I have experienced a couple of pigs who are slow to poop when they're settling into their new home. Freyja and Frigga actually did it to me yesterday, just over a changed cage, 3 hours without a poop, then suddenly a cloud of them! I think sometimes piggies need to get really comfortable in their surroundings before they get going with their 'movements'. They need to decide where they like doing their business the best.

Does she have a name yet, btw?

THanks so much! I'm probably going to go with BellaVita. Bella in italian means pretty and vita in italian means life. Pretty life. Has a nice sound to it and is her. When I'm up to it I'll do an intro of her thread with photos and confirm her name, but I can't think of any name I like more. :)

And yeah, the GUILT of enjoying another pig with Mooshy looking down on me in HER cage with HER stuff.. sigh

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
THanks so much! I'm probably going to go with BellaVita. Bella in italian means pretty and vita in italian means life. Pretty life. Has a nice sound to it and is her. When I'm up to it I'll do an intro of her thread with photos and confirm her name, but I can't think of any name I like more. :)

And yeah, the GUILT of enjoying another pig with Mooshy looking down on me in HER cage with HER stuff.. sigh

Oh that is so lovely! Little baby Bella!

Don't feel guilty. Mooshy wouldn't want that wonderful home to stay empty.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind that love is not something one rations. No, you will never forget Mooshy and all that you meant to each other, but there is no better way to honor her memory than to give another deserving creature a happy home.

When my Chester passed, I thought I would never get over it. But, I had to do something about that gaping hole in my heart. I set out to get a pair of sows.....and came home with two little boars. I'll swear that I could hear Chester say, "Over here, Mom........take this one". I did, and 4 wk. old Sparky came into my life. Sparky is the reincarnation of Chester with more wonderful qualities added. Trust in the universe and sometimes magic happens.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so glad you've got another little one to love, Artista. I, too, did NOT want more pigs after Poopy, my heart was (and still is) torn open and raw.
But I found a couple of little boys who needed a home, and a home they got. Mooshy would definitely want you to give all that love and devotion to another one if she can no longer be around to benefit from it.

I'm sure BellaVita has hit the piggie lottery, and Mooshy would certainly want you to spread the wealth.

I did this not too long ago, after I realized a few things quite some time after Pooper left. Not sure if you've seen it, but perhaps it will help you.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/116699-My-will

Artista

Cavy Slave
Question on quantity of veggies. I'm blessed that Bella Rose (won't change name again.. :) ) just wolfs down her finely diced green peppers, eats her green lettuce. Went to Sprouts and got her organic dandeline greens and organic parsley. I read Abys can be prone to diabetes so no fruit which in my mind is sugar any way (I don't eat much of it myself, veggies yes). She been eating Mooshy's KMS timothy hay pellets and her orchard grass hay. Poops are increasing so I'm pleased. Drinks more water than Mooshy did in the same frame of time. The alf hay and pellets should be arriving soon. Will mix alf pellets with timothy and use the alf hay. I bought a 40 oz bag (Oxbow brand) rather than a large batch just to see if she even eats it.

So green lettuce, green pepper, dandeline greens and parsley on the menu to give daily. I'm holding off on baby carrot (diced tiny) and some tomato until I make sure we got the important ones down and in a routine. For a 3 week old, how much of each per day. I figure she's a baby so more than what I gave Mooshy each day but not sure. I never did do the 1 cup as it was way too much. She'd stuff herself on veggies and the hay (and poops) would go way down. Thanks again for the help with this new baby Bella Rose of mine. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just pick an amount and try it. It's not an exact science. You can start with 1/4 cup, or 1/3, or 1/2 -- whatever works for her.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Congratulations!! I know the pain you feel from Mooshy's passing, but now you have honored her memory by giving a new little girl a wonderful home, where I'm sure she will be just as deeply loved. I adore her name too, so beautiful :love:

Artista

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Is there any such thing as too much calcium for an almost 5 wk old baby? Last week I found 1 light whitish spot and again yesterday. Should I cut out the amount of high calcium veggies or no worries? She's eating orchard grass and blue grass, and KMS alfalfa pellets since I already had ordered it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.