Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Would a Male or Female Pig Be Ideal For This Group?

MysticalMysty

Cavy Slave
I am very fortunate to have an opportunity to earn some extra money for my piggies this fall. I am aiming to massively expand their cage size; I want to buy the 2x6 with a 2x2 loft cage that is offered in this store. I also want to look into adopting another guinea pig, bringing our cavy family to a total of 4 piggies.

I currently have 3 females: Nova, Reese, and Abby. They are roughly four months old as of now. We probably won't be getting the cage until November or December, and thus we will need to wait until then before adopting.

I'm curious as to whether a sow or a neutered boar would be best for this group? I know some people who have herds of 8 females and they get along with each other great. However, there's clearly a rivalry/dominance battle going on between the pigs (I found today that Reese had been sprayed on her side; I'm assuming it's Nova). I've heard that occasionally neutered boars can help the group be calmer, and I was wondering if this was a fact or just a myth, or rather a case-by-case thing. If not a boar, I'd probably be aiming to get a young sow (younger than my trio, that is). I'm just afraid they might push the newcomer around and cause her to become frightened.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
It mainly depends on the personalities of your girls and the new pig, not the gender or the age. Since your girls are just entering puberty it's normal for them to start figuring out the hierarchy. If you want a boar, you can add a boar. If you prefer a sow, get a sow.

It's not a myth that a neutered boar can end bickering amongst a group of females; I'd say if you wanna be safe in the long run, when the girls are older, adding a boar may save you from a lot of trouble. Keep in mind that this may not be true and your trio/group of females can and may get along just fine without a neutered boar. Like I said, the personalities are what really determine the strength of their bond.

However, if you really want a sow over a boar I think you'll have a good chance at introducing one successfully. If possible, try to get the girls to go "piggie dating" (ask the shelter/rescue if this can be done) so they can pick out their own buddy.

Also keep in mind that if you get a neutered boar he may not be the leader; you may end up with a submissive, laid-back boar, which is perfectly fine.

I think it would just be easiest to take your girls piggie dating, but if this is not possible, then just go with your gut and the gender you prefer. Good luck!

MysticalMysty

Cavy Slave
Good luck!

Thank you for the help! I didn't even know piggie dating was a thing. If a shelter/rescue around me does offer that, I'll be sure to try it out!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.