Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Evacuating with 2 Guinea Pigs; 7 Hour Car Trip

Hello, all! Hurricane Irma is rapidly bearing down on the US, and my city is in the path of said storm. My family has already found a place to stay for the duration of the storm, and we're making preparations to leave. However, I have 2 guinea pigs that I'm taking with me, and the place we're staying is roughly 7 hours away by car (I didn't pick the location, and as I still live with my parents I don't have any say about where we evacuate to). I have a carrier for my pigs, I have an emergency cage to bring with me, I know what I need to bring, etc. My only concern is the actual car ride. My two pigs get along fine most of the time, aside from the occasional dominance strut or head rearing. They never truly fight (biting, scratching, etc.), but I'm still worried about keeping them confined to a carrier for 7 hours. The carrier is 12" x 8" x 8", so they will certainly fit in there together, but it will be a tight squeeze. There is a place for a water bottle to be attached, which I will be using, and I plan on putting a bowl of pellets in there and giving them veggies periodically so that they don't go without eating for a whole 7 hours. My real question is, will they be okay staying in a carrier together for 7 hours? I would put them in separate carriers, but a) I don't want them be stressed out and alone, b) the other carrier doesn't have a place for a water bottle, and c) we are also bringing our dog, our cat, and our snake (the snake will be inside a pillowcase that is inside a container, so there's no chance of him getting out) so there is limited room in the car.

I'd really just like your thoughts because I'm really worried about a 7-hour car trip with my two piggies, even though this is an emergency situation and is completely out of my control. Also, would it be better to just not put any pellets in the carrier, and just feed them veggies in the car? I don't want them to go hungry, but at the same time I don't want them to be sitting in their own poo for several hours.

Thanks
    Thanks
    156 Rec'd/122 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Re: Evacuating with 2 Guinea Pigs; 7 Hour Car Trip

I have a couple of suggestions.
    1) Put some hay in toilet paper tubes. You can prefill the tubes and toss them in if they need the distraction. They break up squabbles between my piggies when we travel -food and fun.
    2) If the water bottle gives you trouble, wet their veggies before you feed them or give them some with a higher water content, like cucumber.
    3) Layer pee pads or towels in the carrier. You can take out layers, and the poo on top of that layer, and have a clean layer underneath. It may be easier to do in a moving car if you have to.
    4) Have a cardboard box folded flat but ready to go if you need to separate them, even for a short while.

Good luck. Stay safe.

3. "Thank you, miniver, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2023 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Don't attach the water bottle -- it'll just drip and they'll swim the whole trip. You can offer it to them occasionally. Take plenty of veggies in a baggie with some extra water in it. Don't overdo the cucumber unless they're used to eating it.

But, if you've never evacuated for a hurricane before, you should know that if the normal trip takes seven hours, this one will take MUCH longer. Half the cars in Florida are going to be on the highway, gas will be scarce, and traffic will move at a snail's pace. So take more of everything than you think you need.

Good luck, stay safe, and let us know how you get along.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all of your help. As it turns out, we canceled our evacuation plans because the storm will only be a tropical storm by the time it hits us. My piggies will be safe and sound, if a bit scared, right at home in their own cage. ^_^

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Be safe, DisneyQueen. It will be no easy go no matter where you are in Florida.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We're actually situated in SC, and according to news reports Irma will have slowed down to a tropical storm by the time it hits my area. Thank you for all of your kind wishes, however. We're prepared to hunker down in our home for several days should anything go awry, but most people on our area are doing the same.

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

So glad to hear, you're further north than I thought. I've had the Weather Channel on for the last two days straight (I didn't even watch the race last night for crying out loud) And it looks like the eyewall is going to go right through where my mother has her winter home, which of course is a park model trailer. Just north of Tampa. Waiting to see what happens with it, but the entire park where it is has been evacuated.

Thanks
    Thanks
    677 Rec'd/585 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

@Guinea Pig Papa, I hope your Mom's mobile home makes it through this storm. Since you said it's her winter home I assume she is not in Florida at this time. Like you, my husband and I have been watching the Weather Channel since yesterday. We have no friends or family living in Florida but this is so heartbreaking for all involved. I can't even imagine what they are going through.

@DisneyQueen, I am so glad to hear that you are living in SC. I thought you were located in Florida and was thinking about you last night. I know we have other members from this forum who are living in Florida. My thoughts are with them and their families.

10. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    @Guinea Pig Papa, I hope your Mom's mobile home makes it through this storm. Since you said it's her winter home I assume she is not in Florida at this time. Like you, my husband and I have been watching the Weather Channel since yesterday. We have no friends or family living in Florida but this is so heartbreaking for all involved. I can't even imagine what they are going through.

@DisneyQueen, I am so glad to hear that you are living in SC. I thought you were located in Florida and was thinking about you last night. I know we have other members from this forum who are living in Florida. My thoughts are with them and their families.
    You're absolutely right, she's at home up here in Canada. They would have been heading down there around mid November, but now it's just a wait and see game. They only paid $5000 for the park model and unfortunately it's uninsured (My mother says what's the point? It was only $5000 and the insurance would cost more than the trailer) But it was still a place for her and my stepfather to spend the winter that was better than here.

Hoping for the best for everyone down there, I know of a couple of other members on the forum that live around Palm Beach and I believe they evacuated, but I can't remember for sure.

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

Got an email from my Mom this morning, apparently no damage to their Florida place. Neighbour went back this morning, and told her nothing appears damaged. She's going to go inside and check for water damage this afternoon but so far so good at this point.

Thanks
    Thanks
    677 Rec'd/585 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)

@Guinea Pig Papa, that is such good news.

Thanks
    Thanks
    554 Rec'd/461 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

@Guinea Pig Papa, that is such good news.
    Thank you, @Kelsie. My mother was so happy to find out all is well.

The only part I'm sad about is that there are going to be so, so many others who've lost so much.

User Tag List