Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Reese Pushes Abby Around...

Hey guys; I just barely posted a "get to know my piggies" thread, and I figured addressing this in a separate post would be better.

In that post, I stated how Reese was the dominant piggie. When we first got them, they were all pretty equal, but they've clearly established a hierarchy: Reese, Nova, Abby.

My problem is, it's gotten somewhat severe. If Abby even goes near Reese, the latter pig will purr/growl at her. If Abby gets too close, Reese will spin around and lunge at her. Every time, both of their teeth are bared. Abby just freezes when Reese does this, before bolting away. As far as I know, there hasn't been any bloodshed (Abby never tries to challenge Reese, it's just Reese attacking her). Nova will occasionally join in, but Abby and her will sometimes cuddle each other.

My sister and I thought it'd be a good idea to separate Abby from the other two, considering Reese and Nova adore each other. We put in a divider in the cage, keeping Abby on one side and Reese and Nova on the other. This way, they can still see and talk to each other, but it'll decrease the chances of a hurt piggie. However, Abby kept trying to find a way to get to her sisters, and Reese would walk along the perimeter of the divider, calling out to Abby. We thought maybe they needed each other (we think Abby and Reese are litter-mates, while Nova is from a different litter) so we removed the divider. The previous behavior happened again, though.

I just need some advice for this. I think Reese is making Abby anxious, and that's why Abby doesn't like being pet on her body (since that's where Reese generally attacks). I don't know whether or not this is common behavior or if it's a bit more serious.

PS. They have been bonded their whole lives.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2023 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Re: Reese Pushes Abby Around...

I'd leave them together if there's no bloodshed. Just weigh Abby regularly to make sure she's getting enough to eat.

It's probably NOT why Abby doesn't like being petted. Has she been treated for mites?

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

My 3 piggies just had the same problem but mine weren't siblings. My first 2 would continue to pick on my newest and corner her. My problem was pretty much solved by expanding their cage and giving them time to work it out, don't worry the fighting looks a lot worse to us than it actually is. Just keep checking for bite marks but do not interfere and push away the pigs picking on Abby. I know how hard it is to see a little pig being attacked but in your case since they are siblings I think they will work it out quickly. How big is your current cage?

5. "Thank you, ShayPiggiesnHam, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I'd leave them together if there's no bloodshed. Just weigh Abby regularly to make sure she's getting enough to eat.

It's probably NOT why Abby doesn't like being petted. Has she been treated for mites?
    When we first got them, they had mites but we treated them. Is there a possibility for them to come back?

Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShayPiggiesnHam View Post
    My 3 piggies just had the same problem but mine weren't siblings. My first 2 would continue to pick on my newest and corner her. My problem was pretty much solved by expanding their cage and giving them time to work it out, don't worry the fighting looks a lot worse to us than it actually is. Just keep checking for bite marks but do not interfere and push away the pigs picking on Abby. I know how hard it is to see a little pig being attacked but in your case since they are siblings I think they will work it out quickly. How big is your current cage?
    The cage is equal to a 2x5 C&C cage, plus we are going to make an upper level, possibly a 1x2.

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Your cage size sounds goodI highly recommend a 2x2 loft for 3 pigs. I used to have a skinny loft and it didn't work well. If yours are like mine at some times they will all be in the loft at once and if it's a little cramped they get territorial.

9. "Thank you, ShayPiggiesnHam, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalMysty View Post
    The cage is equal to a 2x5 C&C cage, plus we are going to make an upper level, possibly a 1x2.
    A 1x-anything loft is just about useless unless you have only one cavy. And, yes, somehow they seem to want to go to the loft at the same time and there is just no room with a 1x2 loft.

I've posted this previously, but not everyone saw it. I started with a 2x4 cage with a 1x2 loft. I expanded the cage to a 2x5 with a 2x2 overhanging loft. If the loft is overhanging, you can still clean the main level easily. Here are a couple of pics to illustrate the difference:

Name:  Crowded Loft.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  63.0 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loft3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	83399 Name:  Offset loft design.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  47.5 KB

11. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List