Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay What do you guys think of this hay rack?

HorseSpirit

Cavy Slave
Alright, so yesterday I got my boar this hay rack from the store when I was getting more bedding. I figured it would be fine, till I was worried that hay would fall into his eyes, so I looked up some hay rack info and such and saw how dangerous they could be. Before, I had a hay wheel, which I now know is dangerous because a pig could break his legs. I wanted to help my boy get his hay more easily, and the rack seemed like a good idea. Upon further reading and unfortunate stories of piggies meeting their end to these things, I immediately took the hay rack out and placed the hay in his litter box. So my question for you guys; does it look safe enough for him to not get his head stuck or his teeth wedged? Here's the URL to the product: https://tinyurl.com/yau2jhje (used tinyurl because the original was ridiculously long)

Thank you for all of your help, and I'm perfectly fine with looking into other options to help keep Pascsl safe :) He is a pretty good sized pig by the way, and is 4 y/o

Attachments

IMG_1045.jpg IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1047.jpg

Stefbjjnev

Cavy Slave
Fast fix is do you have an old tissue box that is empty? Take the plastic off and fill with hay place with opening facing oit

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

HorseSpirit

Cavy Slave
True, not a bad idea! I'll keep a look out for one

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think the pig will have a very hard time getting the hay out of it. The bars are too close together for his nose to stick in and grab the hay.

It'll be a mess, but he'll be happiest with a pile of hay on the floor of the cage. I compromise with my pigs by piling the hay in a plastic pan, which helps a little in keeping it corralled.

Stefbjjnev

Cavy Slave
I got my boys hayrack at a storage store. It was a wire over the door box for cleaning supplies. I snapped the hooks off and clipped it up with binder clips

HorseSpirit

Cavy Slave
That's a good point @bpatters , thanks! And the cleaning box isn't a bad idea either, I'll keep it in mind!

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Fast fix is do you have an old tissue box that is empty? Take the plastic off and fill with hay place with opening facing oit

OMG, that's so great and simple! I hate pet store feeders so I've been putting it on the ground. Promblem is that I'm throwing out more than they are eating. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Throwing out more hay than they eat is just the price of owning guinea pigs. It doesn't matter where you put their hay, that will always be true!

Stefbjjnev

Cavy Slave
OMG, that's so great and simple! I hate pet store feeders so I've been putting it on the ground. Promblem is that I'm throwing out more than they are eating. Thanks!
That's what I've used as an extra treat too. They make good tunnels as well.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
After reading reviews on both I bought the large hay rack from this store - I wish I hadn't. It's way too big and they still throw as much on the floor of their cafe. I am definitely going the tissue box route!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.