Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing 3-Month-Old Guinea Pig Coughing and Sneezing?

thequeenofpigs

Cavy Slave
I received a pair of brothers, Grover and Garrett, from an acquaintance of my mother's earlier this year in June when they were barely even a month old. They recently just turned 3 months old, and seem to be doing fine. However, I've begun to worry about Garrett (the one pictured here).

For about 12 days now, he's been making strange noises. I haven't actually been able to record footage of him making those noises but to give you an idea, it's kind of like he's coughing and sneezing at the same time. Like a 'Kah!' noise. I only ever hear him make that noise less than 3 times a day. He had a short sneezing(?) fit less than 3 days ago...

I don't know what could be wrong with him, my first thought was pneumonia. He doesn't seem to be struggling to receive air or breathing through his mouth. Of course, I know that this could happen eventually, as my first guinea pig, who is now deceased, struggled with pneumonia as well.

My mother's acquaintance, Anne, actually got Grover & Garrett's parents, Pickle & Pepper, from a pet store. Anne (and maybe the staff) thought that Pickle & Pepper were both female but in reality, Pickle had impregnated Pepper. Grover & Garrett come from Pepper's second litter of pups. I wonder if Pickle or Pepper could've passed down a disease to their babies? And if that's the case, what kind of disease?

If it's something genetic, then I think his brother Grover might've gotten lucky. Grover hasn't been sneezing or coughing at all. While they are the same age, Grover is physically bigger than Garrett, who's only a little bit smaller. Both of them drink water and eat their vegetables with no problem at all.

I'm more than willing to take Garrett (and Grover + Gunther, my other guinea pig) to a vet if his coughing/sneezing continues, especially if it's life threating. Any advice, solutions, and recommendations are deeply appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 11.57.09 AM.png

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is he doing it after he eats? He may be a little greedy, and is eating too quickly or with bites that are too large.

thequeenofpigs

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I think you might be right (and I might be overreacting, lol). He hasn't made that noise every single day. I've been keeping an eye on him for the past couple of hours and haven't heard a peep from him.

Thanks for your reponse!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're chopping his veggies really fine, it may make it more likely for him to get something caught in his throat. I just cut things in enough chunks to make sure each pig has a chance at getting something.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
He's soooo cute <3

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.