Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Looking For Local Pet Shops To Buy From! (Chicago)

Zofia

Cavy Slave
Hi all, so I live near Chicago, and I'm going to be getting a pair of female Guinea Pigs at the beginning of next year. There are a few shelters I've found as well as the obvious Petco and Petsmart's. Are there any local stores around here that sell Guinea Pigs and hay?

Adopt don't shop for guinea pigs they are often misexed and sick I don't know how many times I have seen pregnant males. As for hay I buy in bulk from amazon I found it to be much cheaper but if you can find a local farm they often sell their hay cheap as well. As for any shelters I found some for you on petfinder.com you just have to put in your zip code for a more accurate find.

Apart from going to shelters, you can use Petfinder and Kijiji. Hay can be bought online (eg. Small Pet Select or KMS Hayloft) or at a farm. Since you live in Chicago, you might need to drive for an hour to get to a farm, but you can buy in bulk. I've heard that, if stored properly, hay can keep for up to 2 years. So you would only need to make the trip once a year.

Check out Critter Corral, they may have some foster homes near you. After a quick search on Adoptapet.com, I found these girls too in Libertyville (broken link removed)

Also, buying hay online is a great option. You can buy it in bulk, and for much cheaper than at a petstore.

PLEASE do NOT purchase guinea pigs from a pet store. They are treated poorly, and you don't want to support that. Some even carry mites, deadly illnesses and are missexed/pregnant.

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.