Thread: Looking For Local Pet Shops To Buy From! (Chicago)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Looking For Local Pet Shops To Buy From! (Chicago)

Hi all, so I live near Chicago, and I'm going to be getting a pair of female Guinea Pigs at the beginning of next year. There are a few shelters I've found as well as the obvious Petco and Petsmart's. Are there any local stores around here that sell Guinea Pigs and hay?

Thanks
    Thanks
    73 Rec'd/67 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

Re: Looking For Local Pet Shops To Buy From! (Chicago)

Adopt don't shop for guinea pigs they are often misexed and sick I don't know how many times I have seen pregnant males. As for hay I buy in bulk from amazon I found it to be much cheaper but if you can find a local farm they often sell their hay cheap as well. As for any shelters I found some for you on petfinder.com you just have to put in your zip code for a more accurate find.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Apart from going to shelters, you can use Petfinder and Kijiji. Hay can be bought online (eg. Small Pet Select or KMS Hayloft) or at a farm. Since you live in Chicago, you might need to drive for an hour to get to a farm, but you can buy in bulk. I've heard that, if stored properly, hay can keep for up to 2 years. So you would only need to make the trip once a year.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

Check out Critter Corral, they may have some foster homes near you. After a quick search on Adoptapet.com, I found these girls too in Libertyville https://www.aear.org/pets/view/2710/...y#.WbBHR8iGPIU

Also, buying hay online is a great option. You can buy it in bulk, and for much cheaper than at a petstore.

PLEASE do NOT purchase guinea pigs from a pet store. They are treated poorly, and you don't want to support that. Some even carry mites, deadly illnesses and are missexed/pregnant.

Good luck!

User Tag List