Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Trimming/Cutting Hair

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
I have a female guinea pig who constantly has a dirty butt. She's not a long haired guinea pig and this only started happening this year. I'm not really sure what the issue is but every week I end up giving her a bath because her bottom is just soaked with urine. It's bad enough to the point that the urine is forming crusts in her hair and I almost always have to either cut it off or soak her butt in water for a while to get it off. I've been thinking of trimming her butt hair but I don't know if that will help or whether it's a good idea.

Has anyone had this issue before and what did you do? Also, has anyone cut a guinea pigs hair before and is there any tips or advice for me? Such as what tools to use?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd definitely trim the hair. I had one that needed her skirt trimmed regularly.

Some people use scissors, some use trimmers. Many pigs will shriek as if there were a nerve in every hair, but just ignore them and keep cutting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.