Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet August and Ludvig are so picky

Maggie.

Cavy Slave
Hello! As some of you may know, I have two piggies, August and Ludvig. They're 2 months old boars. They are really really picky eaters and I wonder why? I've tried a lot of vegetables but they dont like most of them.
Things I've tried:
Kale
Cucumber
Tomato
Peppers
Broccoli
Zucchini
Parsley
Coriander
Lettuce
Carrots
Dill
Celery

Things they will eat:
Dill
Lettuce
Sometimes celery and parsley.
They will snack on the other things if they're REALLY hungry. But mostly it just stays in the cage untouched.

Should I be worried? Should I keep giving them the other vegetables? Is this going to change with age? Am I overfeeding them? They get 3 meals a day. Each is about a cup of vegetables.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

scoottie

Cavy Slave
They should only be getting a cup of veggies per day so yes you are giving them too much veggies.

Maggie.

Cavy Slave
They should only be getting a cup of veggies per day so yes you are giving them too much veggies.
Oh. I thought you were supposed to give a cup of veggies per pig?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
There has always been different arguments about how much to give per pig the recent one I have heard it a cup of veggies per day others have heard per pig per day but if your giving them 3 different servings and each of them are a cup that's 3 cups which a lot would say is too much. Oh and here is a list that you can look at to give yourself an idea of what they can have and how often. https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

Last edited:

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Where did they come from? How old are they and have they been fed veggies in their previous home?

Maggie.

Cavy Slave
Where did they come from? How old are they and have they been fed veggies in their previous home?
They came from an accidental litter. They are 2 months old and I dont think they have been fed veggies in their previous home but I'm not 100% sure.

Stefbjjnev

Cavy Slave
Do they hand feed? If so they might like veggies that way better. Also leaving a veggie for a while and reintroducing helps I found. My two didn't eat cucumber but I put it in this summer after not giving it for 5 months they loved it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Maggie.

Cavy Slave
Do they hand feed? If so they might like veggies that way better. Also leaving a veggie for a while and reintroducing helps I found. My two didn't eat cucumber but I put it in this summer after not giving it for 5 months they loved it

Yes! They do handfeed and they often eat more vegetables if I handfeed them. Not sure why. I'll try the reintroducing method.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I dont think they have been fed veggies in their previous home but I'm not 100% sure.

That may be the problem. They probably are not used to eating veggies yet. Luckily, since they are young and not as hard to introduce veggies to as adult piggies, I think it will be fairly easy to get them to eat on their own.

Keep leaving veggies in their cage, they may choose to try new foods on their own eventually but if not, try to hand feed some.

If there's a certain veggie they like, lettuce, for instance, then you can hide a few other veggies inside and make a little burrito, which you'll have to hand feed. I'd say to try and get them to eat bell pepper now and worry about the rest later as they need their vitamin c, and if they don't eat it they don't get it.

Maggie.

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys for the suggestions! I'll definitely try to introduce my piggies to veggies in any way I can. Another question though - why do the piggies prefer veggies that are handfed rather than eating out of a plate?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Hand feeding helps with bonding with them.

Stefbjjnev

Cavy Slave
Hand feeding helps with bonding with them.
It does. My boys will only do hand feeding when they are feeling stressed or are in a new environment. After I moved this last time (their first move) I hand fed them for 2 weeks so they would eat veggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.