Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Plastic Box Carrier?

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
I'm moving and I need to take my guinea pigs with me, but I don't have a carrier for them. Is it okay to just use a plastic box (without the lid, obviously) that's about the size of a cat carrier and that's deep enough so they can't climb out? It's only a 15 min car ride, btw.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
How about a cardboard box with lots of holes? seems safer to me than a plastic box that might not be safe without a lid. I hate to have this sentence come out of my mouth because I sound like such a mom, but I am one so oh well, but most car accidents happen within 5 miles of home.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Ok. I was thinking a plastic box because it's the same material as the cat carrier and I was worried that they would chew the cardboard (which might have ink).

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Ok. I was thinking a plastic box because it's the same material as the cat carrier and I was worried that they would chew the cardboard (which might have ink).
Could happen, but I brought mine home - half an hour, and they were too nervous in the moving to chew on the box. I buckled it in.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks. I guess I'm going to NoFrills to pick up some boxes.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
or zip tie a grid on top or something. that would work too!

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Ok, will do!

Shieme

Cavy Slave
You could use a plastic tote and put banklets or towels down so they could hid if they are nervous.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I was assuming she would have put something down.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I was going to. I was thinking towel then fleece and then some hay in the corner and some cucumbers to substitute water for the duration of the ride.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I was going to. I was thinking towel then fleece and then some hay in the corner and some cucumbers to substitute water for the duration of the ride.

That sounds perfect. Especially since it's only 15 minutes. @ziggiepig, no reason to sound... well that's. Not rude but you seem to think I could read minds. I was just trying to help. I never said you were wrong. I think all the ideas here are great including yours.:)

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Sorry :sorry::sorry::(

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
When is the move?

Might it be worth looking on kijiji or Craigslist for a used carrier? That way you have it hanging around for future use for vet visits, etc.

Just a thought.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
It was over the Labour Day long weekend. I'm moved in now, but yeah, I have considered looking for used pet carriers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.