Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General new cage

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
so i got a new cage (like the one pictured) & my guinea poops and pees ALL AROUND THE GRAY LITTLE FOOD BOWL, no where accept there! i feel like that's so gross for him, to be eating while stepping his own poop/pee?!

how do you get your piggys to go elsewhere? lol!

9d60506a5f1ea944a83b89c9e66d6883.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Does It meet the requirements or you and your Piggys are going to have problems

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
what

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
what

Is your cage 27x50 inches or something like that BC if it's way below that your pigs may fight

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs pee and poop near their food a lot. You're lucky if your piggie is really only going there, you will have a much easier time cleaning the cage as you will know where to focus your spot cleaning every day.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That cage is not NEARLY large enough for a guinea pig. You should clean it up and return and get your money back. One guinea pig needs at least 7.5 square feet at a minimum, and two need more. See https://www.guineapigcages.com for information on C&C cages, which can be built very cheaply, or you can order one from www.guineapigcagesstore.com.

Also, the smaller your cage, the more trouble you're going to have keeping it clean. As you've found, guinea pigs pee and poop everywhere, especially where they spend the most time, like where they eat and sleep.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
BTW - @bpatters is exactly right, pay attention to this part - you CAN build C&C cages cheaply. I recently happened upon grids at my local thrift store for $5. But you can buy them at building stores and same with the chloroplast. There is no need to spend the money on a C&C cage from the guinea pig store if it's out of budget.
But you have to figure out a way to get that pig into a bigger cage so he can be happy.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
That cage is not NEARLY large enough for a guinea pig. You should clean it up and return and get your money back. One guinea pig needs at least 7.5 square feet at a minimum, and two need more. See https://www.guineapigcages.com for information on C&C cages, which can be built very cheaply, or you can order one from www.guineapigcagesstore.com.

Also, the smaller your cage, the more trouble you're going to have keeping it clean. As you've found, guinea pigs pee and poop everywhere, especially where they spend the most time, like where they eat and sleep.

Well that's what I meant

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
lol it's plenty of room for a baby guinea pig [emoji1360]

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer

lissie

Cavy Slave
It's better if you remove that gray shelf and put food bowl on the cage floor. That shelf is taking up space. Guinea pigs need room to run laps.

For hidey, switch to fleece tent or tunnels your pig could run through.

Edit to add:
If you don't remove the shelf, you'll have to put bedding on the shelf.

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
he sleeps under the shelf

lissie

Cavy Slave
As I said, for hidey, you can use something else.

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
what r u talking about

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
what r u talking about

On August 30, you made a post in another thread about having 2 boys and a girl together, and the boys started fighting. So, is this the female? Or a new baby male?

Do you have 4 guinea pigs now?

Also, guinea pigs poop where they eat. They just do. You can't stop it from happening. I work with it by putting my piggies litter box between the hay rack and the food bowl.

They also eat certain "special" poops. It's ok and normal.

Now, please, for the love of piggies, get a bigger cage before you get more guinea pigs. You want at least 10sq ft for 2 cavies. If you get that, they will delight you endlessly with squeaks and popcorn dances of love and thanks.

I found a 2x4 c&c cage on kijiji with coroplast in good condition for $20. And an additional 7 squares at the thrift store for $5. They need to run and be happy. :)

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
they're out of the cage running around with me more than half of the time, they do plenty of popcorning and are spoiled rotten, i have 3 pigs, & they're all spoiled & happy, please, mind your own business :)

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
It's kind of hard to ask people to mind their own business when they are generally answering your question as well as pointing out an important aspect of piggie care.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.