Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Scab, blood, dry skin around and on pigs ear.

Hjacobs891

Cavy Slave
Yesterday, I noticed my guineapigs ear had dry skin everywhere, it was also very flakey. Today I check his ear, and noticed black scans were formed and more blood and still dry flakey skin. Is it mites... or is it fungus? Please help. Thank you. In the pic below the blacks abs are under his ear. Whenever I lightly touch his ear he starts to close his eyes so that means he's in pain?

Attachments

IMG_9772.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is he scratching it a lot?

If so, I'd assume mites, and treat him with ivermectin. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice.

If not it may be a fungus or a bacterial infection. When you're not sure which (and that's most of the time!), you start with antifungal medicine, such as Nystatin or Lotrimin. They're available at any pharmacy. Apply twice a day with a q-tip, and rub it in well. If it starts to look better, keep treating it for several days after you think it's well, as fungal infections can take a while to clear up.

If it doesn't improve, or gets worse, then switch to a triple antibiotic cream, also available at any pharmacy.

We start with an antifungal cream, because if we're wrong and lesion is bacterial, the antifungal cream won't make it any worse. That's not always the case when you apply an antibiotic to a fungal lesion.

I don't think the fact that he closes his eyes when you touch his ear means that he's in pain. If you were hurting him, he'd flinch, or squeak, or try to get away from you.

Hjacobs891

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your response. I have purchased lotrimin and I'm going to start the treatment for fungus first. I never see him itch his ear.. when I watch him. I will defiently purchase ivermectin either ways. I hope it's just fungus and not mites. But I also hope he gets better. I will give an update in about a week.

Hjacobs891

Cavy Slave
Here are other better pictures of his ear from today. IMG_9777.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Looks fungal to me, but I can't say for sure. If the treatment is going to work, you should see some improvement in a few days, although it will take longer than that for any missing hair to reappear.

Hjacobs891

Cavy Slave
I don't think I see any improvementIMG_9806.jpg.. I see more blood spots. Do you see any improvement?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
No I don't any improvement looks like its fungus to me

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It may just be the lighting, but I don't see the white crusty stuff on that second picture. Is it there when you look at it?

Hjacobs891

Cavy Slave
Here's another picture. It looks like crust / dry skin IMG_9808.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd give it another couple of days with the anti-fungal medication. Fungus is hard to clear up, and it won't get better immediately. But if it's not definitely better in another 3-4 days, then switch to a triple antibiotic.

Hjacobs891

Cavy Slave
His ear is so much better! I know it's not completely healed yet. But no more blood, and a lot less crust/dryness. IMG_9853.jpg Thank you so much for your help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Glad to hear it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.