Thread: Dominance behaviors/How long does it last?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Dominance behaviors/How long does it last?

My new guinea's Peach and Daisy were adopted quite recently. They tussle every now and then (nothing bloody) And squeak at each other a ton. I believe Peach is the current dominant one (She's always nipping at Daisy's sides and chasing her into her hideout) And from what I've read its pretty normal. They were born from the same parents and have known each other their whole lives, which is why I don't think they'd ever be non-tolerant of each other.

Anyways does this all sound normal? And how long does the hierarchy take to be set up??

Thanks for replies!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    492 Rec'd/395 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)

Re: Dominance behaviors/How long does it last?

The behaviour sounds normal. However, be sure you have an adequately sized cage (10sqft is recommended for a pair of girls) as too small of a space will add to dominance/aggressive behavior.

It would be a good idea to make sure all your hides have more than one entrance as well. If they only have one opening a pig can easily become trapped and result in aggressive behaviours.

There is a chance this could go one for most of their lives. My one pair of sisters got along well but everyday there was always some kind of rumblestrutting or chasing going on. They remained that way their entire lives.

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

There will probably be occasional squabbles for the rest of there lives

Thanks
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

It all depends. Some pairs will only be like this for a few months, a couple of years, or until they mature (around a year old), and some will display those and many other similar behaviors for the rest of their lives. It all depends on their personalities, size of their cage, and how many of each item there is in the cage.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool Re: Dominance behaviors/How long does it last?

Quote Originally Posted by PeachandDaisy View Post
    My new guinea's Peach and Daisy were adopted quite recently. They tussle every now and then (nothing bloody) And squeak at each other a ton. I believe Peach is the current dominant one (She's always nipping at Daisy's sides and chasing her into her hideout) And from what I've read its pretty normal. They were born from the same parents and have known each other their whole lives, which is why I don't think they'd ever be non-tolerant of each other.

Anyways does this all sound normal? And how long does the hierarchy take to be set up??

Thanks for replies!!!

(Just to make sure you guys know, my cage is 72 x 24.)

User Tag List