Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Exclamation Guineapig squeeling in pain when being picked up and not eating

I just noticed recently that 1 of my 3 Guinea pigs has stopped eating and is very immobile. She is only 1, she hasn't eating any of her regular food she won't come out of her hidey and she has not been drinking there have been no changes in her environment. She hasn't had any recent sugery. The only change has been to her diet yesterday I took her outside to eat grass for longer then normal just an hour from the usual 30 minutes I've also started giving her oxbow vitamin c supplement treats for a couple days. She visually appears fine to me but when picking her up or touching her stomach gently, she weaks with pain. She I still pooping as well. Sorry for this being so mixed up I'm just trying to list everything, she has also been sneezing a tiny bit.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

Re: Guineapig squeeling in pain when being picked up and not eating

Your pig is likely bloated from too much fresh grass -- you should never drastically increase the amount of grass they're given. Only increase it in very small amounts.

She needs to see a vet ASAP, like tonight. A guinea pig that isn't eating is a guinea pig that's dying. She needs a motility drug, and she needs to be hand-fed if her gut is moving at all. The vet could tell you whether it is or not.

You can get some infant simethicone and give her 1/4 of of the infant dose, but i she hasn't eaten since yesterday, that's not likely to help much. But it won't hurt. You can also put her on a vibrating pillow and see if that does any good. But she really does need to see an exotic vet just as quickly as you can get her there.

Thanks
    Thanks
    559 Rec'd/463 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

I just want to add a quick something.

Obviously I agree with everything bpatters suggested. I just wanted to say if you DON'T happen to have a vibrating pillow, you can use a small towel and either an electric vibrating toothbrush, or a vibrating razor with the blades removed, like a Gillette Fusion ProGlide. Just make sure you remove the razor part, and put it inside a towel and lie her on top of it.

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

These posts usually make me think what I would do in an Emergency the closest Emergency Exotic is about 3-4 Hours away I hope your Piggy makes it

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Your pig is likely bloated from too much fresh grass -- you should never drastically increase the amount of grass they're given. Only increase it in very small amounts.

She needs to see a vet ASAP, like tonight. A guinea pig that isn't eating is a guinea pig that's dying. She needs a motility drug, and she needs to be hand-fed if her gut is moving at all. The vet could tell you whether it is or not.

You can get some infant simethicone and give her 1/4 of of the infant dose, but i she hasn't eaten since yesterday, that's not likely to help much. But it won't hurt. You can also put her on a vibrating pillow and see if that does any good. But she really does need to see an exotic vet just as quickly as you can get her there.
    I don't have infant simethicone and I don't think I can make it to a vet tonight how sever is it will she be able to last until morning she seems
    to have only started to have these affects this morning

Cavy Caged
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannymax333 View Post
    I don't have infant simethicone and I don't think I can make it to a vet tonight how sever is it will she be able to last until morning she seems
    to have only started to have these affects this morning
    I know I'm not the expert here but maybe you should try to find a Emergency Exotic Vet she might not make it depending how quick it progresses

Thanks
    Thanks
    559 Rec'd/463 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)

The infant simethicone you should be able to pick up easily at a Walmart, or a 24 hour pharmacy or something along those lines. I'm not sure where you're located, but that should be a start. But definitely look for an emergency exotic vet.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

We were planning and just massaging her tummy and going to the vet in the morning it's now the morning but she's seems to have perked up a bit she isn't shivering anymore and she doesn't squeak if she's picked up or if her tummy is touched. She ate a little bit of lettuce this morning and she still doesn't seem to have a full appetite yet or all of her energy. What should I still take her to the vet I don't want her to have unnecessary stress if she is going to be fine on her own

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

There's really no way to know. It could progress on into bloat, or it could resolve.

Is she pooping at all? Will she eat anything else?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

She's pooping well and she was willing to eat some lettuce if I brought it to her she also willing to eat a oxbow vitamin c supplement treat this morning I was thinking of trying hand feeding just to make sure she gets enough food. I don't think she is eating any hay

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2024 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3768 Post(s)

If she's pooping, then I'd try handfeeding her to make sure she gets enough fiber in her gut.

User Tag List