Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting guinea pigs fighting!!!):

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
okay so i have had two males together, they're brothers, they're about 3-4 months old, i recently added a female to the cage & at first they all got a long until today i came home to the two boys chattering their teeth and going after each other! i immediately separated it before it got too crazy & i removed the one that i felt like caused the trouble and i put him in a separate cage, but now, i feel horrible because he's alone!! every time i walk by it's like he's begging me to get him out, he went from a huge cage with friends to a smaller cage alone): he keeps looking at the other boy & girl from his cage & squeeling and biting on the cage wires trying to get out, i feel so horrible for having to separate them and so now i'm looking for some advice what to do? should i put the boys back together and take out the girl?? get another girl for the lonely boy??? get a girl for the girl & put the boys together?? Help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BonBon

Cavy Slave
Sorry to be blunt, but you can never keep two or more males with a female. They will fight literally to the death. The both want the females attention, so it will never work out. Also, are they neutered? Although it will not change their behavior, they can get the female pregnant as early as 3-4 weeks, and pregnancy is very hard on a guinea pig.

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
what do you recommend i do?

BonBon

Cavy Slave
Well, first off I would like to say it's responsible of you to ask ont he forum, I can tell you have your piggies best interests at heart. :) Anyway, here is what I would do: your boys will be going through puberty in the next couple of months, and are most likely going to be a little on edge if they both want to be dominant. That being said, if they are bonded or do well together, I would put them together in their own cage and get another female for your current girl. Make sure the males can't smell the females though, because they will still fight if they can. Are your boys neutered?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're already in puberty, and having the female with them will only make the squabbling worse. Please get her out of there immediately before she gets pregnant -- pregnancy and delivery are very hard on guinea pig sows, and the death rate for both is high.

BonBon

Cavy Slave
bpatters Welcome Back! Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't exactly sure when puberty started.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Why on earth would you put a (ONE) female with two males? Think about an island with two teenage boys and one teenage girl. Are the boys neutered? I don't understand the thought process on this. Sorry for being harsh. But that poor girl!

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
to the people that are being kind & helping me out thank you, to the others, i don't need your negativity(-: thank you [MENTION=38616]BonBon[/MENTION] & [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] ! i will separate the boys together & get a girl for my girl!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
What size is the cage? Males need more room than females. If the space is too small, it can cause problems between the males. If you end up putting your males together make sure the cage is large enough to accommodate both.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
I would suggest you not get a new piggie at this time.

As your female was in with two boys, and then one boy (not sure you have removed her yet), it is quite possible she is already pregnant. You may end up with a lot of piggies this way.

Please remove the girl from the boys as soon as possible, and if you put the two boys back together, please follow the suggested ways of (re)introduction. I am sorry to say both boys are hitting puberty hard and reintroduction may not even work.
(I will try and find a link to the proper way of introducing piggies)

Please consider doing proper introductions with the boys to see if they can work it out again and wait to see if the girl is pregnant before getting a new pig. The boys may not be able to work it out, without anyone getting neutered you cannot put the girl in with any of the boys and you end up needing three cages.
If the girl is pregnant and has a big litter you may need even more cages...

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
And while I am in my nagging chair...

just saw a picture of your cage. I cannot tell the size, but it looks on the small side, especially for two boys, and majorly so if three pigs need to be living in it...

and it is totally open. If you seperate the female and put her in a similar cage near the boys, they will find a way to climb out and get to the girl. They are just that determined.

(on a side note, if your girl is pregnant, she can get pregnant again right after giving birth, which is very hard on piggies. So she really needs to be properly seperated from the boys)

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
the cage is huge trust me, it looks small but it's huge and too tall for them to get out thanks thi

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
So what is the exact inner size?

if piggies can climb panels from C&C cages, they most likely can climb your cage. They seriously are that determined sometimes.

BonBon

Cavy Slave
It is true that you shouldn't get new pigs if your girl is pregnant. She most likely will have a daughter that you can keep with her. I would also start thinking about long term plans for the babies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, [MENTION=40236]riley.wolf[/MENTION], guinea pigs can climb, and a determined male with a female in heat next to him is very likely to do so. Closet shelving makes a great lid, but put it on the girl's cage. A male can push up the lid on his own cage and escape, but he can't lift the lid on another cage.

riley.wolf

Cavy Slave
it's too tall for them to climb out, they've tried and never succeed, & ive had babies before i know what to do, thx

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
it's too tall for them to climb out, they've tried and never succeed, & ive had babies before i know what to do, thx

You never know how determined they are to mate better safe then sorry

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.