Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Guinea pig buyer's remorse...

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
Right now I am experiencing some buyer's remorse with the guinea pigs I bought. I'm sure it will pass, but I feel like I will not have time for them when I'm older or that they'll never get used to me. I'm also costing everyone a lot of money.

I have until Friday to make a decision on if I want to keep them or not. It breaks my heart and frustrates me that I'm like this...

Any advice on what to do? What to consider?

PJJGP

Cavy Slave
I would try bonding with them. That could help you realize what sweet babies they are! But you should always be 100% ready to get something like a live animal and figure out all the expenses BEFORE buying them...just to be sure you have the money to give them what they need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
If you feel like they can have a better life with someone else, then maybe it's okay to consider surrendering them to a shelter/rescue (I wouldn't return them to the pet store as that will just decrease their chances of getting into another good home with people who truly understand guinea pig care). However, in general, guinea pigs are not that as expensive as say a dog or cat... I'm not sure what your expenses are but if you are finding that you are spending over your budget, my advice would be to buy your hay, your pellets (if you feed them), and your disposable bedding (if you use it), in bulk instead of at the pet store. Buying in bulk allows you to get better quality and a bigger quantity for less. Pet stores overprice everything, in my opinion, and the hay and pellets are never fresh. You get so little for so much money. I'd say the only REALLY expensive part about owning guinea pigs, or for any pet for that matter, is the unpredictable vet bills. But most of the time, depending on where you live and how many piggies you own, veggies, hay, pellets, and supplies are not really much.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've only had these guinea pigs for a few weeks....right? They'll get used to you, I promise. Don't give up. Most piggies really learn to warm up to their humans and the patience that is required is definitely paid off in the end. Trust me. Just keep trying and don't get discouraged.

If you feel like guinea pigs are just not right for you, and you feel that they can live a better life with someone else, I wouldn't see anything wrong with giving them up... not that I do anyway but I truly believe that you are doing just fine, especially for a new time cavy owner, when most make a lot of mistakes in the beginning and need to readily adjust how they care for their piggies over time. I really do admire cavy owners who research first and really try their best with their piggies. I think you're a wonderful owner and I'm sure that if you decide to keep your girls, they will love that :)

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
I would try bonding with them. That could help you realize what sweet babies they are! But you should always be 100% ready to get something like a live animal and figure out all the expenses BEFORE buying them...just to be sure you have the money to give them what they need Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
They are very sweet animals, I'm aware. They are lots of work as well and with school starting and stuff like that I don't know who will be able to care for them. I'm fifteen, so some of these things I know I should have looked more in depth to. I just am unsure of what to do as of now.

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
If you feel like they can have a better life with someone else, then maybe it's okay to consider surrendering them to a shelter/rescue (I wouldn't return them to the pet store as that will just decrease their chances of getting into another good home with people who truly understand guinea pig care). However, in general, guinea pigs are not that as expensive as say a dog or cat... I'm not sure what your expenses are but if you are finding that you are spending over your budget, my advice would be to buy your hay, your pellets (if you feed them), and your disposable bedding (if you use it), in bulk instead of at the pet store. Buying in bulk allows you to get better quality and a bigger quantity for less. Pet stores overprice everything, in my opinion, and the hay and pellets are never fresh. You get so little for so much money. I'd say the only REALLY expensive part about owning guinea pigs, or for any pet for that matter, is the unpredictable vet bills. But most of the time, depending on where you live and how many piggies you own, veggies, hay, pellets, and supplies are not really much.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've only had these guinea pigs for a few weeks....right? They'll get used to you, I promise. Don't give up. Most piggies really learn to warm up to their humans and the patience that is required is definitely paid off in the end. Trust me. Just keep trying and don't get discouraged.

If you feel like guinea pigs are just not right for you, and you feel that they can live a better life with someone else, I wouldn't see anything wrong with giving them up... not that I do anyway but I truly believe that you are doing just fine, especially for a new time cavy owner, when most make a lot of mistakes in the beginning and need to readily adjust how they care for their piggies over time. I really do admire cavy owners who research first and really try their best with their piggies. I think you're a wonderful owner and I'm sure that if you decide to keep your girls, they will love that :)

Thank you... I'm mostly concerned because I already own two cats, the cost of them is a lot already. Adding on guinea pigs raises it. I've had them for a little less than two weeks. I know that I won't have much time to spend with them when I go off to college, and I know guinea pigs live a lot longer than just 3 years...
I don't think they are working out especially in the type of home I live in, it is just stressing me out more and making other people angry.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I'm fifteen, so some of these things I know I should have looked more in depth to.

I am actually not much older than you. Even with sports and other extracurricular activities, I still manage to take good care of my piggies. Sure, I don't have all day to spend with them (spending time with them all day or even half the day is necessary... but if you can, obviously that would be great), but I do interact with them whenever possible. I feel as if guinea pigs learn to adjust to your schedule - when you come home and when you bond with them. Some people can devote most of their time to caring for their piggies and spending time with them, and that's wonderful, but others don't have that much time and it's nothing to feel bad about.

We are all busy people, at some point or another - as long as we are giving effort to bond and spend time with our animal friends, and we're not just keeping them just because we feel like it (and CHOOSING to spend very little time with them... say anywhere between 10-30 minutes a day), then they will be fine.

Besides, most guinea pigs do prefer the company of their own kind to humans... I know, it's heartbreaking, but if you have 2+ piggies, trust me, they'll be occupied all day with each other :)

I would only say it's NOT okay if the pig is living by itself AND the owner is choosing to spend very little time with him/her, everyday.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Maybe you should keep them even if they never get use to you they won't be lonely and you can't give up after 2 weeks it takes time and even if they don't have attention from you your 2 guineas will have each other

ShayPiggiesnHam

Cavy Slave
At the end of the day it's your decision. I would suggest doing the math to figure out if money would in fact be an issue. As long as you can still give them attention and keep them healthy you'll be fine. When I got my first piggy in February after not having any for a few years I had the same feeling. I thought that I may have made a mistake because she wasn't affectionate yet. Then one day she started licking me which my old ones never did. I knew that she was meant to be my piggy after that. And now I have 3 haha:) Best of luck!

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
I am actually not much older than you. Even with sports and other extracurricular activities, I still manage to take good care of my piggies. Sure, I don't have all day to spend with them (spending time with them all day or even half the day is necessary... but if you can, obviously that would be great), but I do interact with them whenever possible. I feel as if guinea pigs learn to adjust to your schedule - when you come home and when you bond with them. Some people can devote most of their time to caring for their piggies and spending time with them, and that's wonderful, but others don't have that much time and it's nothing to feel bad about.

We are all busy people, at some point or another - as long as we are giving effort to bond and spend time with our animal friends, and we're not just keeping them just because we feel like it (and CHOOSING to spend very little time with them... say anywhere between 10-30 minutes a day), then they will be fine.

Besides, most guinea pigs do prefer the company of their own kind to humans... I know, it's heartbreaking, but if you have 2+ piggies, trust me, they'll be occupied all day with each other :)

I would only say it's NOT okay if the pig is living by itself AND the owner is choosing to spend very little time with him/her, everyday.

Huh, that's a good point. I don't know what to do right now other than bring this all up to my dad and see how he feels about this whole situation... Thanks for your advice and help. It really means a lot!
l

PJJGP

Cavy Slave
They are very sweet animals, I'm aware. They are lots of work as well and with school starting and stuff like that I don't know who will be able to care for them. I'm fifteen, so some of these things I know I should have looked more in depth to. I just am unsure of what to do as of now.

I'm 16,and I work for chore money and use that as payment for guinea food and stuff. But they actually aren't expensive at all. $82 a month is about what I spend in total on food and everything. They are really loving and I bet you will grow to love them

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
At the end of the day it's your decision. I would suggest doing the math to figure out if money would in fact be an issue. As long as you can still give them attention and keep them healthy you'll be fine. When I got my first piggy in February after not having any for a few years I had the same feeling. I thought that I may have made a mistake because she wasn't affectionate yet. Then one day she started licking me which my old ones never did. I knew that she was meant to be my piggy after that. And now I have 3 haha:) Best of luck!

Thank you! They're just adding more stress to my life- I stress about /everything/ all the time, and it's becoming overwhelming on an emotional level for me. I'm going to make a solid decision by Thursday. :)

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
I'm 16,and I work for chore money and use that as payment for guinea food and stuff. But they actually aren't expensive at all. $82 a month is about what I spend in total on food and everything. They are really loving and I bet you will grow to love them

Thank you! I'm going to see how everyone in my family feels about this.

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
Maybe you should keep them even if they never get use to you they won't be lonely and you can't give up after 2 weeks it takes time and even if they don't have attention from you your 2 guineas will have each other
If I do decide they're not the pet for me I won't keep them. They deserve love, and I would want someone else to care for them like I should have.

PJJGP

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I'm going to see how everyone in my family feels about this.
I have 3 girls,and they are amazing. They can teach SO much responsibility! I feel like I grew up a lot by having them[emoji846]

fluffbutt

Cavy Slave
This is totally your decision!

Guinea pigs do take time to bond with you - my first piggy is an absolute cuddle monster, and it took him maybe a month to become like that, taking him out of the cage 3 - 4 times a day.

My second oldest piggy will still chat to me, but isn't a big cuddler - every single piggy will be different! My newest piggy is only six weeks old, and still isn't comfortable with me, but like I said, it'll just take time.

Have a long, hard think, and do what you feel is right. I got my piggies in university (I guess our version of college?) and they were a huge stress reliever for me during assignments and study. Big cuddles and chats whenever I was drenched in work and needed a break. Would you be able to take your piggies with you? Would they be close to you if they stayed with your parents?

Let us know what you decide anyhow.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
We got our piggies about a month ago because my daughter dearly wanted them. My wife and I knew we would be responsible for the pigs but they weren't our choice in animal. We already have 2 rescue dogs that I am working with and 3 cats. The guinea pigs have stressed me out a lot. I was worried about attention, etc., and the fact that they weren't bonding with us.

Finally, I just had to relax because I only have so much energy or hours in the day.
Well today, when I went to give them hay, the shyer one ran up to the loft, back down the ramp, and popcorned. It was awesome. It took her 4 weeks, but she was ok with me in the cage and excited to see me with hay.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Piggies are awesome little critters and when they are happy, you just smile. You worry and stress because you care. It's up to you and with rescuing animals, you have a lot on your plate. You also know if you can't keep them clean and happy, you need to give them up. But make sure you definitely can't handle them. Don't regret giving them up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.