Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding What to put under disposable bedding

GandApiggies

Cavy Slave
I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. We have fleece bedding and then a coroplast kitchen with disposable bedding. What should I put under the disposable bedding in the kitchen? We don't get the newspaper and I'm running out of the ones I had. Are there other disposable liners I can put in there? Thanks for any ideas!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
If by "disposable bedding", you mean wood-based bedding like aspen or kiln-dried pine or something from paper pulp like Carefresh, you don't need anything under disposable bedding. For the most part, unless you don't change it out regularly, it will absorb the urine on its own.

GandApiggies

Cavy Slave
Yes that's what I meant. Good to know I don't have to put anything under it!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That being said, once you change out the disposable bedding, it's always a good idea to clean the coroplast with a vinegar and water solution.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Are there other disposable liners I can put in there?

Many of us use puppy pads as a disposable liner. Just be sure to tuck the blue plastic under so they can't see it. Cavies seem to love that blue plastic, and it's not good for them to ingest it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can patch the coroplast. Just put the tape on the outside so the pigs can't eat it -- they LOVE tape.

But I use wood pellets.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Has anybody found a better alternative to puppy pads?

I switched from puppy pads quite some time ago to something more durable and kind to the environment. I use incontinence pads that I alter to fit the cage. Sew around the pad BEFORE you cut it or the layers will separate and be virtually impossible to reattach properly. Sew the pad and then trim close to the stitching. These pads last a long time.

Shop around for the best price. Here is one source for them:

(broken link removed) (34" x 36")
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QSDFL4 (35" x 80")

Also, a high-temperature hot glue gun is invaluable when working with coroplast. You can fill in cracks and cuts. Just be sure not to directly touch the coro with the gun or it will melt it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.