Thread: What to put under disposable bedding

What to put under disposable bedding

I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. We have fleece bedding and then a coroplast kitchen with disposable bedding. What should I put under the disposable bedding in the kitchen? We don't get the newspaper and I'm running out of the ones I had. Are there other disposable liners I can put in there? Thanks for any ideas!

Re: What to put under disposable bedding

If by "disposable bedding", you mean wood-based bedding like aspen or kiln-dried pine or something from paper pulp like Carefresh, you don't need anything under disposable bedding. For the most part, unless you don't change it out regularly, it will absorb the urine on its own.

Yes that's what I meant. Good to know I don't have to put anything under it!

That being said, once you change out the disposable bedding, it's always a good idea to clean the coroplast with a vinegar and water solution.

Quote Originally Posted by GandApiggies View Post
    Are there other disposable liners I can put in there?
    Many of us use puppy pads as a disposable liner. Just be sure to tuck the blue plastic under so they can't see it. Cavies seem to love that blue plastic, and it's not good for them to ingest it.

I go through two puppy pads every 5-6 days when cleaning my kitchen. Has anybody found a better alternative to puppy pads? I can’t just use bedding because I accidentally cut one of my chloroplast’s sides too far in the corner

You can patch the coroplast. Just put the tape on the outside so the pigs can't eat it -- they LOVE tape.

But I use wood pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Candalalala View Post
    Has anybody found a better alternative to puppy pads?
    I switched from puppy pads quite some time ago to something more durable and kind to the environment. I use incontinence pads that I alter to fit the cage. Sew around the pad BEFORE you cut it or the layers will separate and be virtually impossible to reattach properly. Sew the pad and then trim close to the stitching. These pads last a long time.

Shop around for the best price. Here is one source for them:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DMPFS/ref=biss_dp_t_asn (34" x 36")
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QSDFL4 (35" x 80")

Also, a high-temperature hot glue gun is invaluable when working with coroplast. You can fill in cracks and cuts. Just be sure not to directly touch the coro with the gun or it will melt it.

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    I switched from puppy pads quite some time ago to something more durable and kind to the environment. I use incontinence pads that I alter to fit the cage. Sew around the pad BEFORE you cut it or the layers will separate and be virtually impossible to reattach properly. Sew the pad and then trim close to the stitching. These pads last a long time.

Shop around for the best price. Here is one source for them:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DMPFS/ref=biss_dp_t_asn (34" x 36")
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QSDFL4 (35" x 80")

Also, a high-temperature hot glue gun is invaluable when working with coroplast. You can fill in cracks and cuts. Just be sure not to directly touch the coro with the gun or it will melt it.
    thank you!!