Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What to put under disposable bedding

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 09, 2017
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    What to put under disposable bedding

    I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. We have fleece bedding and then a coroplast kitchen with disposable bedding. What should I put under the disposable bedding in the kitchen? We don't get the newspaper and I'm running out of the ones I had. Are there other disposable liners I can put in there? Thanks for any ideas!

  2. #2
    Moderator CavyMama's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 19, 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,779
    Thanks
    352
    Thanks
    1,439 Rec'd/990 Posts
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)
    Quoted
    696 Post(s)

    Re: What to put under disposable bedding

    If by "disposable bedding", you mean wood-based bedding like aspen or kiln-dried pine or something from paper pulp like Carefresh, you don't need anything under disposable bedding. For the most part, unless you don't change it out regularly, it will absorb the urine on its own.

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 09, 2017
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: What to put under disposable bedding

    Yes that's what I meant. Good to know I don't have to put anything under it!

  4. #4
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,145
    Thanks
    279
    Thanks
    453 Rec'd/409 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    359 Post(s)

    Re: What to put under disposable bedding

    That being said, once you change out the disposable bedding, it's always a good idea to clean the coroplast with a vinegar and water solution.

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave spy9doc's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,312
    Thanks
    64
    Thanks
    1,491 Rec'd/1,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1096 Post(s)

    Re: What to put under disposable bedding

    Quote Originally Posted by GandApiggies View Post
    Are there other disposable liners I can put in there?
    Many of us use puppy pads as a disposable liner. Just be sure to tuck the blue plastic under so they can't see it. Cavies seem to love that blue plastic, and it's not good for them to ingest it.

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave Candalalala's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2018
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: What to put under disposable bedding

    I go through two puppy pads every 5-6 days when cleaning my kitchen. Has anybody found a better alternative to puppy pads? I can’t just use bedding because I accidentally cut one of my chloroplast’s sides too far in the corner

  7. #7
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    27,994
    Thanks
    156
    Thanks
    7,102 Rec'd/5,647 Posts
    Mentioned
    1992 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3683 Post(s)

    Re: What to put under disposable bedding

    You can patch the coroplast. Just put the tape on the outside so the pigs can't eat it -- they LOVE tape.

    But I use wood pellets.

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave spy9doc's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,312
    Thanks
    64
    Thanks
    1,491 Rec'd/1,227 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1096 Post(s)

    Re: What to put under disposable bedding

    Quote Originally Posted by Candalalala View Post
    Has anybody found a better alternative to puppy pads?
    I switched from puppy pads quite some time ago to something more durable and kind to the environment. I use incontinence pads that I alter to fit the cage. Sew around the pad BEFORE you cut it or the layers will separate and be virtually impossible to reattach properly. Sew the pad and then trim close to the stitching. These pads last a long time.

    Shop around for the best price. Here is one source for them:

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DMPFS/ref=biss_dp_t_asn (34" x 36")
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QSDFL4 (35" x 80")

    Also, a high-temperature hot glue gun is invaluable when working with coroplast. You can fill in cracks and cuts. Just be sure not to directly touch the coro with the gun or it will melt it.

  9. #9
    Cavy Slave Candalalala's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2018
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: What to put under disposable bedding

    Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    I switched from puppy pads quite some time ago to something more durable and kind to the environment. I use incontinence pads that I alter to fit the cage. Sew around the pad BEFORE you cut it or the layers will separate and be virtually impossible to reattach properly. Sew the pad and then trim close to the stitching. These pads last a long time.

    Shop around for the best price. Here is one source for them:

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DMPFS/ref=biss_dp_t_asn (34" x 36")
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QSDFL4 (35" x 80")

    Also, a high-temperature hot glue gun is invaluable when working with coroplast. You can fill in cracks and cuts. Just be sure not to directly touch the coro with the gun or it will melt it.
    thank you!!

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •