Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Anaemia in old piggy

My little man Fred is 6 years old. He hadn't been himself for about a week, but there was a serious decline in him this morning. Got him an emergency appointment with the vet. He diagnosed anaemia but he said it's only a symptom of a more serious problem. The likely problems are kidney failure, cancer or leukaemia. He gave him a steroid injection and an antibiotic injection. I have to bring him back daily until Wednesday when he said we'll have to make a decision depending on how he's responding to treatment. We agreed not to try and find out what the ultimate problem is as it would be too stressful for Fred. Should I be preparing myself for the worst? I know he's an old man now but he's never been sick before. I lost my other piggies at 3 and 4, so I've never had to deal with an ageing piggy before. He's off his food, very few droppings and the poor little guy looks miserable :( I made him up a salad this evening with all his favourites and he has been picking at it but he'd usually devour it in minutes. He's also lost a visible amount of weight in the past week.

2. "Thank you, Whiplash, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    366 Rec'd/328 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

Re: Anaemia in old piggy

Did the vet check his teeth thoroughly? That would be where I would start, and if it IS his teeth, it can usually be corrected.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Did the vet check his teeth thoroughly? That would be where I would start, and if it IS his teeth, it can usually be corrected.
    Yeah the teeth were the first thing he checked. I was hoping they were the problem. Vet said his teeth are perfect. He noticed that the gums were very pale when he was checking the teeth, and then he checked his eyes. He said it's definitely anaemia, the only thing he can't be sure of is what's causing it. And it would be too stressful for Fred to try find out. He said in all likelyhood the anaesthic would kill him anyway.

Thanks
    Thanks
    366 Rec'd/328 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

Damn. Hopefully Fred responds to the treatment he's currently on. Fingers crossed for the little guy.

6. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Damn. Hopefully Fred responds to the treatment he's currently on. Fingers crossed for the little guy.
    Thank you :)

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

My heart really, really goes out to you. Have you tried hand feeding at all? I understand not wanting to stress him, but you know how imperative it is he eats.

We have just been through exactly the same scenario. Two weeks ago a vet told us investigating on our girl would kill her. She's the same age as your Fred too. Blow me if Crumbs hasn't fought and fought, but it sounds as if your issue and hers are sadly not the same.

You obviously know what the kinder option may be. It's an impossible thing to face. But I think it's obvious things are becoming very tough for Fred. If you're not able to put him through the diagnostics to find out what the issue is, then there's not a great deal else you can do but keep him comfortable. I hope and pray the treatment he's receiving will be of benefit to him. I feel for you so much, you have no idea.... But if it isn't, and you are faced with that decision, remember it will be an act of love.

9. "Thank you, wigglemish, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thank you wigglemish. I was reading about Crumbs earlier. She really has fought. I'm praying for a full recovery for her.

I've considered hand feeding Fred but the vet thinks it's best not to. He doesn't want to stress him and he doesn't want to prolong things if Fred isn't able for it. He gave him a steroid injection which will hopefully increase his appetite. He said to give him a selection of small pieces of his favourite fruit and veg every couple of hours and see if he'll be tempted. He's only giving him until Wednesday to perk up. He'll have daily injections of steroids and antibiotics.

I think realistically he's expecting Fred to have to be put to sleep on Wednesday :( Otherwise I'm sure he'd have said to hand feed. I'm grateful though that he's adamant Fred won't suffer. He'll make the decision as to what's best for him. I don't think I could make the call this time. Losing any piggy is hard but as I know you understand it's absolutely devastating when they've been with you so long.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

This is Fred :)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_1291972204160628.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	83268  

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

He's gorgeous. I'm crying for you. It feels so familiar.

Give him lots and lots of cuddles. Me and the herd send lots of love.

13. "Thank you, wigglemish, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    366 Rec'd/328 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

Fred is such a handsome boy. Certainly doesn't mind his photo taken, either. He's sexy and he knows it!

I'm very, very hopeful that Fred turns around. But all the same, spend your time with him. Give him cuddles and attention, and make whatever time you have left very, very valuable. Had I known Poopy was going to leave me the night he did, I NEVER would have gone to bed.

Best wishes and positive energy from myself and my herd.

15. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks Guinea Pig Papa.

I spent most of the night with Fred. Only dragged myself away because I knew he needed rest. He's off to the vet again soon but it's really not looking good for him. His cage was cleaned out Sunday and I can only find one dropping. I'm questioning whether giving him until Wednesday is fair, but I'm pretty confident he's not suffering yet. Had a glimmer of hope this morning when he was swinging out of the cage bars begging for treats, but he didn't eat anything I gave him.

Thanks
    Thanks
    366 Rec'd/328 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

Take all the time you have with Fred. I know he'll appreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Keeping my fingers crossed for your vet visit.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Vet visit went okay. Three injections for poor Fred though. He got the steroid and antibiotic ones again and he also got a heart and lung stimulant. The vet is hoping it might boost his metabolism and increase his appetite.

On the anaemia front he said there was a definite improvement in the colour of his gums. He thought he looked more miserable though, and I have to agree. He also said he appears to be retaining fluid, which wasn't an issue yesterday.

He's happy to still give him a couple of days though. Back again tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Glad to hear it went well. Has the vet given him a vitamin b injection at all? That's been very good in stimulating the appetite in our girls when they have been poorly before.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wigglemish View Post
    Glad to hear it went well. Has the vet given him a vitamin b injection at all? That's been very good in stimulating the appetite in our girls when they have been poorly before.
    Not yet. He has mentioned the vitamin b as an option, but he doesn't want to give him too much different things together. That will be an option either tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on progress.

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Fair enough, see how he goes. I can only tell you from my experience I have seen very good things from it.

23. "Thank you, wigglemish, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)

Thinking of Fred today. I hope it is good news at the vets

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/51 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

What about an ultrasound for him.it would show if he's got any masses(cancer) so you might have an idea.what I ended up doing for my little yams was went through most of the veggie chart trying to find something to help stimulate her eating ..different things .she went after dandelion and cilantro plus tried different hay orchard grass, meadow hay.it worked for a little.
    She was fighting cancer and ovarian cysts.we got the cysts under control and even reduced the tumor but it came back with avengence.she went from 644 grams to 780 in a week trying different diet .

26. "Thank you, mdodge, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    366 Rec'd/328 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)

My thoughts and my herds are with you today. Hoping Fred has a turnaround and does much, much better.

28. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List