Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Advice for a Beginner Guinea Pig Owner

monikki

Cavy Gazer
Hello, I am new to guinea pigs and this forum!

I started wanting to get a guinea pig about three months ago and I started to do extensive research on what I would need for it. I found out that they should be kept in pairs so I decided I would get at least 2. After months, I have finally found one guinea pig that I will be adopting this upcoming September. However, he is a male. The other two bonded guinea pigs that I was thinking of getting are females.

I want to get all three of them because they do need homes and there are not a lot of adoptable piggies here. But I also don't want them to breed. I was wondering if it was okay to keep all three of them together but keep the boar separated by some grids? I don't want him to be solo but I am also a little scared to get him neutered because I heard it is really risky. And I am not sure there are vets in the area that have done guinea pig neuters. Any advice would help immensely. Thank you!

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Maybe you shouldn't get the boar cause they will do anything to get to the female depending there personalities. If you live close to a Metro Area or a State Capital you might find many exotic vets in that area that might can help

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Neuters are not that risky when done by a cavy-savvy Vet. I have had four boars neutered and all of them were just fine. You want a Vet who has had LOTS of experience with cavies.

It sort of defeats the purpose of having cavies if they can't live together. Of course, having a divided cage can work, but since you are just starting out, why not make it easier on yourself and get all the same sex..........or, line up a Vet to do the neuter in advance. Just be aware that a boar needs to be about five months old for a successful neuter and will need to live by himself for at least a month afterward to allow time for all the sperm to die.......and, to get most of the testosterone out of his body.

Post where you live (city and state) and perhaps someone here can help you find a Vet.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
I won't recommend splitting them with bars. I'd suggest that you just get the females OR get the male neutered. Neuters are not as risky, but make sure that it gets done by a vet that specializes in guinea pigs and has successfully neutered many piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.