Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Chunks of ear missing?

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
As a new time guinea pig owner, I didn't notice the ear bites that were on one of my girl's ears. She has two chunks taken out of the right and a series of chunks on the left. I assume she's only a few months old (was never told an exact birth date), and they are definitely old bites (no scabs/tenderness/bleeding). I do have another guinea pig who is also female. Should I be concerned about this?

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
This has likely been a result of overcrowding when she was a pup. If they are completely healed you don't need to worry. Sadly this is seen all too often in piggies squished into small cages. Just make sure the environment you provide now has as much room for your girls as possible and you should seen no new bites

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
This has likely been a result of overcrowding when she was a pup. If they are completely healed you don't need to worry. Sadly this is seen all too often in piggies squished into small cages. Just make sure the environment you provide now has as much room for your girls as possible and you should seen no new bites

Okay, thank you so much! I was real worried at first because I thought that my other girl was biting her.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
You're welcome. It's always worth checking of you're unsure. I recommend once a week you give your girls a good check head to toe. Weigh them and keep a note of it. Check teeth, fur, feet, ears, eyes, skin.
https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html is an invaluable resource for monitoring the health and wellbeing of your new family members

LexPiggies

Cavy Slave
I think they're fine. My pig, Joe has bites taken out of the edge of his ear and I recently discovered that there's even a little hole (like an ear piercing lol) in his other ear. They look to be old and I assume it's from other pigs biting them. (sadly, he was from a petstore).

CavyReigns

Cavy Gazer
In addition to all that's been said above, it can also be a dominance thing. Guinea pigs high up in their little social order sometimes bite/nibble the ears of those who are lower than them. One could have bitten a bit too hard or too much. It's not uncommon to see in pigs as I've seen quite a few that has small little bites around the edges of their ears. As long as it healed properly, they should be completely fine.

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
In addition to all that's been said above, it can also be a dominance thing. Guinea pigs high up in their little social order sometimes bite/nibble the ears of those who are lower than them. One could have bitten a bit too hard or too much. It's not uncommon to see in pigs as I've seen quite a few that has small little bites around the edges of their ears. As long as it healed properly, they should be completely fine.

thank you so much. I was really worried at first, called a pet place and they told me to return them... not the answer I wanted.

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
I think they're fine. My pig, Joe has bites taken out of the edge of his ear and I recently discovered that there's even a little hole (like an ear piercing lol) in his other ear. They look to be old and I assume it's from other pigs biting them. (sadly, he was from a petstore).

mine are from a pet store as well. my parents wouldn't let me get them anywhere else.

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
You're welcome. It's always worth checking of you're unsure. I recommend once a week you give your girls a good check head to toe. Weigh them and keep a note of it. Check teeth, fur, feet, ears, eyes, skin.
https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html is an invaluable resource for monitoring the health and wellbeing of your new family members
this is so helpful. thank you!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.