Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

KMS pellets look very weird

Hi everyone,

So I recently purchased some KMS pellets, and when I opened it, I noticed that the pellets were much shinier and longer than usual; the pellets are usually very short and have a "matte" finish. I thought they might have just changed the look so I gave them to my pigs.

Well, it was hard for them to eat, so I had to break every single piece of kibble in half for them. They still had trouble eating it, and never finished it all, and I saw spit in the bowl!

It is now the second day, and I have contacted the company; I am waiting for a response. I am very frustrated because now I may have to buy either Oxbow or extra veggies for now if I have to wait for another shipment, or if this is just how the pellets are, well then back to oxbow :/

I wanted to see if anyone else has kibble like this from KMS? Please let me know!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Re: KMS pellets look very weird

I saw a thread from @Kelsie a few days ago mentioning that the pellets looked different, but not that they were hard to eat.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

The color of the pellets depends on the hay. Maybe it's a different strain of hay, maybe it was the growing season this year.

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

@Beatrix187, are your pigs eating the new pellets any better or are they still having a problem with them? I just started my new order and I have noticed that my pigs are not eating them as readily as the previous batch.

I really like KMS pellets, but if the mill keeps changing the formula I may have to go back to Oxbow.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

I forgot to reply to this thread, but KMS got back to me within a day and told me that their pellet mill can be inconsistent, but the formula is still the same. I'm personally still not happy with the pellets, but I can't really do much about it, and at least I know that they're not defective.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

@Kelsie My guinea pigs are starting to eat them now, but they never finish the bowl and aren't as eager to eat them anymore. I think within a few weeks they will get used to it, but I can tell they definitely preferred the old ones.

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

Thanks for replying @Beatrix187. I am finding that my pigs are reacting the same as yours. It was kind of sad this morning when I put the bowl in the cage of my youngest pigs. They were so excited and then they realized the pellets were different and they kept running around the bowl as if to be looking for their other pellets. One of them ran over and stood up to the grids and seemed to be begging for her usual pellets. They all have eaten some of them but I can tell they don't care for them. I could kick myself for buying 25# of these pellets. I'm actually thinking I should go and buy them some Oxbow pellets. They have always enjoyed their pellets and now I feel so bad for them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

UPDATE: Tonight while syringe-feeding Domino's vitamin C, I've noticed that he has broken his teeth. Im pretty sure it's from those rock-hard pellets. He and Carl don't have any scabs, so I don't think they got in a fight. Tomorrow hopefully I'll be purchasing some oxbow pellets and see how they like them. It's just not working out. And I feel you @Kelsie I've got the 25# bag too. It's perfect timing my week is super busy and next week we're on vacation, hopefully I can squeeze in a vet visit :/

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,227 Rec'd/5,757 Posts
    Mentioned
    2028 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3801 Post(s)

He didn't break his teeth on pellets unless there was something wrong with the teeth. It's much more likely that he chewed the bars of the cage and broke them off.

Besides, they don't chew the pellets with their front teeth. They just pick them up and get them in their mouths that way. The chewing is done with the molars.

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

@Beatrix187, what I've found has been working for me is to put a few drops of water on the pellets about 15 minutes before feeding. The water seems to soften them up and now my pigs are eating them. It certainly isn't ideal but it was the only way that I could even get them to eat. Mostly they just scattered them around the cage and left most of them in the dish.

I sent another email to KMS and they responded that the formula is exactly the same but the mill is using a new machine that runs very hot and is making the pellets come out very hard. KMS has asked them to use the older machine for their pellets but this time for some reason they didn't. Linda from KMS was very apologetic and is upset that the mill is not doing what she requests and what she is paying them to do.

She said she just recently placed another order for pellets and is hoping that the mill gets these correct. I guess we will just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I will just keep wetting my pellets until I use all 25# of them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    686 Rec'd/593 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)

@Beatrix187, I also wanted to say that I'm so sorry that Domino has broken his teeth. I've always read that the teeth grow back relatively fast so hopefully, he will be back to normal very soon.

Relax and have a great time on your vacation.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

@bpatters I'm pretty sure he didn't bight on the walls because he never does that and he's such a laid back, lazy piggy. Pellets was only an idea, but thanks or the information on chewing. That is just the only thing I could think of as he's had lots of trouble with his pellets. But with your information it's probably not the pellets.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    87 Rec'd/82 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)

@Kelsie thank you for your suggestion, I tried it last night and it seems the boys are eating it now. They have also been doing the same thing as your pigs: leaving some in the bowl, and kicking them out. I think they were starting to get used to it but now I don't have to worry about them having a hard time chewing it. I was SO thinking of getting a 10# but decided to get the 25# haha but oh well! Hopefully this works out!

And thank you, I will be texting the vet today to see what she thinks. The teeth don't look as bad as I thought, and he's still eating his veggies and hay just fine. I feel better about this "wetting pellets" thing, and will be telling my petsitter this!

Thanks
    Thanks
    152 Rec'd/134 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

I too noticed this last batch of pellets looks longer and darker, but our pigs are eating them just the same.

User Tag List