Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables What Veggies Make Them Gassy??

agemus

Cavy Slave
I always feed new veggies to my little one, but there are some that I'm very cautious about which ones actually make them gassy and bloated? i've seen a bunch of articles but it only lists a few where i feel like there's some that I feel are missing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cruciferous veggies produce gas -- broccoli, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, etc. Cucumber is another.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, I'm not suggesting that at all.

They can eat any of those in small amounts. And some pigs aren't bothered by them in large amounts. It depends on the pig. Those are just the ones to be careful with.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Cucumber, while to be treated carefully, can actually be a very useful food in hot weather. A small slice in summer weather can help avoid dehydration. But you must be careful with it, as not only can it cause gas, but also diarrhea in excess.

I second Bpatters, any dark, coarse green veggie like kale, spinach, cabbage, can lead to gas. They are high in vit c though, so a little bit every so often will be beneficial to your herd. But certainly not every day. My pigs go through phases, some weeks they love the stuff and some days it's abandoned in the bowl

If you're looking to add variety, radicchio, curly purple and green lettuce, corn husks (great for teeth and can usually be gotten for free from your local grocer), and the odd bit of dill are very popular with our girls.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.