Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Puberty Two young guinea pigs being agressive

Maggie.

Cavy Slave
Hello! About two weeks ago I got myself two male guinea pigs. They're around three months old right now and display aggressive behavior quite a bit which worries me a little. They are not drawing blood or nipping but they rumblestrut a lot, raise their heads and wiggle their bums at eachother. Now to be clear - I am housing them in a temporary cage which I am aware is too small for them but next week I will be rehousing them into a big diy cage I've had built for them. Is this behavior normal between two young males? Will it change with age?
I know increasing their space might fix the problem but Im just not 100% sure whats normal and what's not and if I can do something to help them get along more.
The cage Im housing them in right now is 50×100cm (20×40 inches) and I'll be moving them into a 150x80cm (60x30 inches) cage with a second floor.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The cage is part of the problem. It's not nearly large enough for one guinea pig, much less two. And still less, two boars in puberty. You need to get them in a larger cage before one of them gets badly hurt.

Other than that, the behavior is normal, and will probably continue for months to come. But it all depends on the personality of the pigs.

Here's some reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.