Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Guinea Pig Help!!

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 16, 2017
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Guinea Pig Help!!

    My guinea pig Paisley (she's about 2 years) has has some hair lose around hers eyes. She had a fungal infection when I first got her so I know what that looks like and it's totally opposite. There's no white flaky stuff and she just doesn't seemed bothered by it at all. I think it's fur mites? I was going to get Ivermectin to treat them topically but I don't know how to go about that...any help would be greatly appreciated. (And I looked on Guinea Lynx and it just confused me..)


    Also sorry that the pictures are so blurry..she wouldn't be still!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 16, 2017
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea Pig Help!!

    This are her eyes

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,021
    Thanks
    187
    Thanks
    7,315 Rec'd/5,830 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3904 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea Pig Help!!

    If she had mites, she'd be scratching. Mites don't usually start around the eyes, and fungus doesn't always have white flaky stuff or bother the pig.

    That's pretty classic looking fungus. I'd start with Lotrimin or Nystatin, applying it with a q-tip sparingly around the eyes and being very careful not to get any in the eye. If it gets larger, or the hair doesn't start to grow back in about a week, you can switch to a triple antibiotic ointment. You'll also have to be careful about the eyes, but also to rub it in well so she doesn't get it on her paws and ingest it when she's cleaning herself.

    Skin lesions can be hard to diagnose between fungus and bacterial infections. Generally, you start treatment for a fungus first, because an antibiotic can actually feed a fungus, whereas the opposite is not true.

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 16, 2017
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea Pig Help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    If she had mites, she'd be scratching. Mites don't usually start around the eyes, and fungus doesn't always have white flaky stuff or bother the pig.

    That's pretty classic looking fungus. I'd start with Lotrimin or Nystatin, applying it with a q-tip sparingly around the eyes and being very careful not to get any in the eye. If it gets larger, or the hair doesn't start to grow back in about a week, you can switch to a triple antibiotic ointment. You'll also have to be careful about the eyes, but also to rub it in well so she doesn't get it on her paws and ingest it when she's cleaning herself.

    Skin lesions can be hard to diagnose between fungus and bacterial infections. Generally, you start treatment for a fungus first, because an antibiotic can actually feed a fungus, whereas the opposite is not true.
    Where can I get those medicines? I read that fungal cream for athletes foot can help it but I don't want to risk anything. She's my baby and I obviously don't want to hurt her. I can't get her into a vet right yet so is there any medicines I can buy in a store or offline even? Thanks for your reply! It made me worry a lot less

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave Pitterpatter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 14, 2017
    Location
    Flat Lick Ky
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea Pig Help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by PJJGP View Post
    Where can I get those medicines? I read that fungal cream for athletes foot can help it but I don't want to risk anything. She's my baby and I obviously don't want to hurt her. I can't get her into a vet right yet so is there any medicines I can buy in a store or offline even? Thanks for your reply! It made me worry a lot less

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    You can get the lotrimin from walmart

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 16, 2017
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea Pig Help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitterpatter View Post
    You can get the lotrimin from walmart

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Thank you!! I'll get it today. I just apply a small amount on to her eye and rub it in good so she can't wipe it with her paws? Will it hurt her if it accidentally gets in her eye? (I'm confident it won't because I had to apply cream to her eye when she had her first fungal infection)

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave Pitterpatter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 14, 2017
    Location
    Flat Lick Ky
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    1
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea Pig Help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by PJJGP View Post
    Thank you!! I'll get it today. I just apply a small amount on to her eye and rub it in good so she can't wipe it with her paws? Will it hurt her if it accidentally gets in her eye? (I'm confident it won't because I had to apply cream to her eye when she had her first fungal infection)

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    I would just be real careful not to it would probably burn if you did

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

  8. "Thank you, Pitterpatter, for this useful post," says:


  9. #8
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,021
    Thanks
    187
    Thanks
    7,315 Rec'd/5,830 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3904 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea Pig Help!!

    Don't get it in her eye. If you're not comfortable doing that, see a vet for something that won't harm her eyes.

    You can buy those meds at any pharmacy.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •