Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Crumbs' medical thread

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Re: Piggy on way out, advice needed please

Good luck with little Crumbs. She's a fighter, and so are you. I just wanted to share my guinea pig anesthesia experience. I had two boars neutered last year. Same vet, same anesthesia protocol. The first one was completely normal when I picked him up. The second one two weeks later came home wobbly and didn't move for two days, but he ate and ended up recovering fine. He was smaller and even though he got less of the drugs, I still think it takes smaller pigs longer to get it all out of their systems.

Thank you, PigMommy. Did he just lay there, all sort of splooged? That's what she is doing. Very occasionally lifting her head just a fraction, but really just laying there flat to the ground, with a million mile stare.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Can a mod please change the title of this thread? To Crumbs' medical thread or something, please? I want to believe that she no longer has a death sentence

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I'm glad you asked that, [MENTION=39335]wigglemish[/MENTION]. I was thinking the same thing last night.

I believe you've turned a bit of a corner now yourself. ��

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

We've made it through the first 24 hours, surely that has to count for something

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

It most certainly does. It sounds like she's coming around, slowly but surely. You're doing a great job. Without you being so vigilant, I'm not so sure she'd be doing as well as she is right now.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

It most certainly does. It sounds like she's coming around, slowly but surely. You're doing a great job. Without you being so vigilant, I'm not so sure she'd be doing as well as she is right now.

She's having a rough ride of it bless her. Still won't move or eat on her own. But I'm seeing some attempts at stirring when I hold her or when she's in her feeding bowl. Trying to keep calm and push on. She had some pain relief and hour and a half ago so hopefully that will help

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I have to admit I was worried about the anesthetic and how it would affect her, being such a tiny girl. My baby boar Punkin was born October 8th last year, and he was the same weight as Crumbs on Christmas morning. But you had nothing to lose, she most definitely would have died with her teeth that way, a slow painful miserable way to go.
She's going to come around, especially with the way you're looking after her.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Exactly, it was this or a horrible death. We had to take the chance on her

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

And I'm so happy you did. Crumbs might not seem like it now, but she will be, too.

Sly had his first molar planing three days before Christmas. Our vet looked me straight in the eye and said, "Make no mistake, it may just be a tooth trim, but it IS surgery for him. Because of his age, we are taking a risk with the anesthetic and I want you to be fully aware that he may not come out of it. You have three choices. Take him home and try to nurse him the rest of his days, which are few and will be filled with misery and pain. Two, if you can't or don't want to do the surgery, show him you love him by letting him go and euthanizing him today, right now. Three, we cross our fingers and do the surgery."

He was booked all afternoon, but he made sure he fit Sly in. He didn't want to risk him going through the holidays, he was that bad. As bad as Crumbs.

Our story has a happy ending, even though it's ever changing. Sly needs regular molar planings, and Crumbs may now, too. But it's a workable problem and every time I see Sly waggling his nose at me for a treat, I get a huge smile on my face.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave

Thank you, PigMommy. Did he just lay there, all sort of splooged? That's what she is doing. Very occasionally lifting her head just a fraction, but really just laying there flat to the ground, with a million mile stare.
Most of the time he did just lie there, thought he was dead a couple of times. He's not very fond of being handled, so he'd try to run away from me and would just fall over. I'm glad I did the other one first or I wouldn't have had the nerve to do another one after that.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Most of the time he did just lie there, thought he was dead a couple of times. He's not very fond of being handled, so he'd try to run away from me and would just fall over. I'm glad I did the other one first or I wouldn't have had the nerve to do another one after that.

Yes, this, this is what she is like exactly. She's tried to run a couple of times when I have placed her back in the cage. When did he start to rouse at it were? I know you said two days but what was the tipping point where you felt him coming back to you?

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

I think, maybe, maybe, maybe Crumbs is coming up. We just had a really good feeding session, for the first five or six syringes she was much more responsive, spat out very little and actually reacted to the syringe when I came to her lips with it by turning her face. By the time we finished I think she was too exhausted to keep doing this, but I think I saw a little consciousness there.

She also tried soooo hard to stand up in the bowl. She couldn't do it, but she really tried.

Praying I will see more of this at 6.30

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I think the anesthetic really hit Crumbs, probably because she's such a tiny girl. It sounds like she's taking baby steps, and that's good. Vigilance and patience, and it seems to me you have both.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

I am committed to piggy intensive nursing. My other half is having to force me to do things like eat

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

It sounds like she's finally starting to come around. Little gains to be sure, but still gains. She IS eating and drinking, even though it has to be kind of forced on her. Pooping and peeing means that everything else is working the way it should!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

She's making soooo many poos, good size ones. I collect up the little pile every time I get her out, we're getting about 30 or so every three hours

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

That's definitely progress. I'm looking forward to hearing she's up and around and eating on her own.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Me too. Desperate for it to happen

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

It will, it's just going to take some time. Crumbs is a fighter, isn't she? She's made it this far.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

She is. I'm amazed by her to be honest.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.