Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Crumbs' medical thread

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Re: Piggy on way out, advice needed please

Another 14ml cc down. She is still the same. Very still and quiet, getting the food into her was hard, she didn't want to to chew very much. Trying so hard to not panic.

GPP, how long was Sly like this?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

A good 12 to 18 hrs

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

The first day or so he doesn't do much

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Did you have trouble getting him to chew with the handfeeding too? I am terrified of choking/suffocating her

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

For the most part when he ate, he ate on his own

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Oh jesus, okay...

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Please don't panic, @wigglemish. Shes had a rough go. Is she doing anything at all? She may just be exhausted considering what she went through

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Please don't panic, @wigglemish. Shes had a rough go. Is she doing anything at all? She may just be exhausted considering what she went through

No, she's just laying in her pigloo. Occasionally she will lift her head a little. Her eyes are open. I could vomit I am so scared.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Make no mistake, having her teeth done is still surgery, and the poor little thing has been through hell. She'll need some time but she will need rest. Just be vigilant with food and hopefully she will improve soon. It takes d
Sly a couple days to shake the anesthetic and he's twice her size

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Okay. I'm sorry, I'm on the edge of hysteria here. I can't shake what happened with Siggy.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

She needs you to be strong for her right now because she can't be. I've been warned time and again that Sly may or may not eat on his own after surgery. Every pig is different. Sly usually is a drunken sailor after surgery, but he generally eats on his own. Crumbs has had a hell of a rough go over the last few months and she is still fighting. And even though he's lighter now, he's still 1240 grams, twice Crumbs size.

Try and settle down. I understand completely how you feel, but being panicked will help neither of you. Try holding her for awhile and just talking to her and stroking her fur. Only time will help her flush the anesthetic out.

I'm sorry if some of my answers appear short. It usually means I'm on the road on a call, but I will answer if I know it's important.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

She needs you to be strong for her right now because she can't be. I've been warned time and again that Sly may or may not eat on his own after surgery. Every pig is different. Sly usually is a drunken sailor after surgery, but he generally eats on his own. Crumbs has had a hell of a rough go over the last few months and she is still fighting. And even though he's lighter now, he's still 1240 grams, twice Crumbs size.

Try and settle down. I understand completely how you feel, but being panicked will help neither of you. Try holding her for awhile and just talking to her and stroking her fur. Only time will help her flush the anesthetic out.

I'm sorry if some of my answers appear short. It usually means I'm on the road on a call, but I will answer if I know it's important.

I know, I know that my panic will feed into her. I'm so sorry, I know I am being ridiculous. The little ones keep popping into her pigloo to see her. It's so sweet. I will persist with her. Hopefully in a few more hours she will perk up...

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

You're NOT being ridiculous. You love her to bits, that much is obvious. And stop apologizing for your concern over her, that's the LAST thing you need to apologize for.

Believe that she's going to be ok. She needs time. Molar planing IS surgery, but you need to believe that she'll be fine. That's half of BOTH your battle.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

I have brought her into bed with me and a heatpad. I am roasting but she seems comfortable

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

For heavens sake, don't fall asleep on her!

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

For heavens sake, don't fall asleep on her!

I didn't. Another 15ml down, I think she chewed a little better this time, she seemed to lean forward to look for the syringe. And she's made her first sound, she let out a whinge when I lifted her

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I admire your dedication to that little girl. I KNOW it's coming up on 1am where you are. Believe it or not, I'M anxious on this side of the pond for little Crumbs. I firmly believe she's going to be fine, she just may be a little slow to come around due to her age, past health and her tiny frame.

I probably don't need to tell you this, but be careful with the heating pad. Keep it as low as possible. maybe a towel between her and it. If it gets uncomfortably hot, she may be too weak or groggy to get off of it.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

It's currently on the outside of her pigloo on the opposite side to where she is sitting. I thought the radiant heat from it would benefit her then. Do you think that will be OK? I had noticed her shivering again, she seemed to eat better once I pulled the temp in the house right up again.

Fortunately due to my pain condition I have had lots of practice running on very little sleep.

Oh and the pad is wrapped up in a pillow case as well

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Sounds good to me. As long as she's comfortable that's the main thing. Does she seem a little more coherent at all to you? Of course, it is the middle of the night there and she's likely very messed up with how her day has gone. It's now what, roughly 12 hours post surgery?

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Not really, no. Maybe marginally more with it when she was eating. But still just laying in her bed. She is attempting to lift her head every so often

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.