Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Urine is Orange??

agemus

Cavy Slave
In the cage with yellow fleece, my guinea pig's pee would be like a red, then it would turn dark and then disappear. I then saw it again and blotted it with a paper towel, and it was orange pee. I have my guinea pig roaming around now on a white towel, and he peed again and it's definitely an orange pee. In between a regular orange and a pastel orange, its pretty light. I brought my guinea pig to the vet the other day for another health problem and he did a full body X-ray. turns out the little guy was only bloated, and that was the only health problem, so i know it's not kidney stones. He doesn't make any noises when he pees either, so doesn't seem like he's in pain. Any advice?

agemus

Cavy Slave
I've never seen this before with all the other times he has peed, why is it happening now?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old is he?

And please don't start multiple threads on problems with your pig. If this were on his regular thread, we'd know how old he is. It just makes it too hard to keep up with what's going on if the pertinent information is all over the forum.

agemus

Cavy Slave
He is 7 months old. Also, he's on anti-inflammatory medication, Metacam. It started happening right after his vet visit when the vet told me to take him off of veggies for 3 days for all that gas to pass and give him 0.33 cc once a day of metacam. So i'm not sure if its the medication or the lack of veggie intake that's causing this?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Could be either. I wouldn't worry about it. If it were blood, the color would be pink or red, not orange.

agemus

Cavy Slave
it seems like every time he pees, it makes that stain. Is that normal?

Shieme

Cavy Slave
On antibiotics, yes, it could do that. And color could stain, yes. I think after the medicine is done and wait a few days for It exit the body, then check again. I bet it will be clear again.

Last edited:

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I have had this happen before, completely out of the blue, when there was honestly nothing that had changed with my girls. it went on for a few days, then went away again. Blood in pee is very obvious, I personally don't believe this is the case here. Bloody pee is a muddy brown/pink to bright red colour. Orange pee is typically down to oxidization when it comes into contact with the air. Keep a watchful eye, as you are doing at the moment, make sure to keep his water fresh daily and I am sure it will clear up on it's own.

agemus

Cavy Slave
Ok this is great to hear! Bc everytime i see this orange/red spot in the cage, i pat it down with a paper towel and it seems to absorb it all and comes out orange. So thats good to hear it's not blood. He still has about a week and a half on the antibiotics, so is this orange pee going to affect him badly? i know he's doing it a lot because i have to clean him everyday since the orange pee is staining his bottom ( he has white fur)

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Going to affect him badly? What do you mean? Stain his fur, yes for a while but new fur will grow back. It won't be forever. Eventually the orange pee will go away after the antibiotics are out of his system.

agemus

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to make sure that since the antibiotics is most likely what's making his pee orange, and he still has a week and a half on it, that it's not affecting him.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to make sure that since the antibiotics is most likely what's making his pee orange, and he still has a week and a half on it, that it's not affecting him.

Its helping his body fight off what's Illing him but as far as long term affect, no. I hope he feels better but the urine thing, think about when you eat something that affects your body. Like beets turn your poops red and there is a dye you can safely consume (like the stuff they put in beer to make it green for st. Patties day when you are 21 or over) that turns your pee green. It doesn't last long but it will scare you. That's all you are seeing. I hope this helps.

I ask this this a lot because I love seeing other people's babies. Can we see a picture of yours?

agemus

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! All of you been really helpful, I get like a really paranoid mom with my little guy lol! I'll give an update when I bring him to the vet for his check-up next week. And sure thing, he has a thing for the camera, he loves it! Image 8-16-17 at 11.49 PM.jpgImage 8-16-17 at 11.49 PM (1).jpgImage 8-16-17 at 11.49 PM (2).jpg

agemus

Cavy Slave
his lips are now chapped, is this bad? it looks very minimal, just dry lips.

agemus

Cavy Slave
Doesn't look anything like that. This was the best pic I could get, he wouldn't stop moving. It's only on his bottom lip. I'll include two pictures. The first one is an hour ago, and the second is now. Seemed like some of it came offIMG_4045.jpgIMG_4048.jpg

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Are you able to wipe it off or is it stuck on there?

agemus

Cavy Slave
It seems to come off. I couldn't really touch his lips Bc he wouldn't let me but him squirming and playing with his lips did get some off so I'm pretty sure it can come off. It loooks like dry,flaky skin to me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm betting on boar glue.

agemus

Cavy Slave
What is boar glue?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.