Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Possible URI?

elliewess

Cavy Gazer
HI! I am very new to owning guinea pigs and while I did my research my girl Hermione is making me a little nervous. I have only had her for about a month but tonight when I was holding her she sneezed twice and I had mucus on my hand from her sneezing. Of course I took to the internet which scared me into thinking she is going to die if I do not get her to a vet immediately. I can call and make an appointment tomorrow but I don't know if I am overreacting. She is still running around everywhere, eating her veggies and her hay, acting normal aside from the sneezing. I also don't want to bring up price but a vet visit costs $65 and I would like to avoid that if possible since I am on a budget after getting my male neutered.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Mucus is not normal. She does need a vet for medication and of course keep her away from your other pig. Do not keep the cages togeather. You don't want two sick piggies. Sorry that happened. Are your piggies near a fan or air conditioning?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would NOT separate the pigs. URI's are not all that contagious, and if they're used to living together, you'll just stress all of them out.

She may not be sick at all. If your hay or bedding is at all dusty, that may cause the thicker mucus in her nose. I'd see a vet at some point, but if she's not otherwise acting sick, don't panic about getting her there.

elliewess

Cavy Gazer
Mucus is not normal. She does need a vet for medication and of course keep her away from your other pig. Do not keep the cages togeather. You don't want two sick piggies. Sorry that happened. Are your piggies near a fan or air conditioning?

There is a ceiling fan nearby but it is rarely on.

elliewess

Cavy Gazer
They have not lived together yet since he has been neutered so they were already separated. I did take her to the vet and she does have a URI.

elliewess

Cavy Gazer
After taking her to the vet he gave her an antibiotic to help with the URI. But after waking up this morning she has diarrhea and I have called the vet but I am waiting on a call back since he was not in the office yet. I will be stopping these antibiotics and she is still currently eating and active so hopefully all will end okay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.