Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Pregnant? Pups are here

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 05, 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    11
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Pregnant? Pups are here

    Mynx has been getting alittle swollen on her sides for a few weeks and it doesn't seem to have really changed, other then possibly getting alittle bit bigger. Is she pregnant? And if so, how long would a pregnancy last? Is there any way for me to tell?

    c

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave scoottie's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2015
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    644
    Thanks
    8
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/69 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant?

    Has she been around a male

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 05, 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    11
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant?

    Quote Originally Posted by scoottie View Post
    Has she been around a male
    Yes, the only cage mate I could get her was a male.

  4. #4
    Cavy Slave scoottie's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 31, 2015
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    644
    Thanks
    8
    Thanks
    75 Rec'd/69 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant?

    And he hasn't been neutered has he so the answer is most likely that she is pregnant he needs to be separated from her if she gives birth with him in the cage she can get pregnant immediately after giving birth. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...r-along-is-she

  5. #5
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,107
    Thanks
    189
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant?

    Please get the male out of the cage ASAP. If she delivers the babies, even if she miscarries, she can get pregnant within MINUTES of giving birth. That's VERY hard on the sow and on the second litter of pups. The death rate for guinea pig sows and pups is high for normal pregnancies, and even higher for back-to-back ones.

    See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...r-along-is-she.

    What does the male look like? Is there any chance that he's a roan?

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 05, 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    11
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Please get the male out of the cage ASAP. If she delivers the babies, even if she miscarries, she can get pregnant within MINUTES of giving birth. That's VERY hard on the sow and on the second litter of pups. The death rate for guinea pig sows and pups is high for normal pregnancies, and even higher for back-to-back ones.

    See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...r-along-is-she.

    What does the male look like? Is there any chance that he's a roan?
    this is what dean looks like, I don't really know what a roan is to be honest. I'll separate them as soon as possible, I just have to get another cage.

  7. #7
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,107
    Thanks
    189
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant?

    Fix a makeshift cage and get him out now. You can put him in a bathtub, or a large laundry basket, or pin him in with boxes or crates -- just put an old shower curtain down on the floor and them some bedding over that, and box him in.

    He's not a full roan, but he may carry the roan allele. Pigs that inherit that from both parents are called lethal whites. They're born blind, deaf, with wonky/missing teeth, and immature digestive tracts. If they live, they require lifelong, expensive vet care.

    They're a perfect example of why guinea pigs should never be casually bred. There are other genetic conditions they can inherit as well, some of them causing lifelong pain. And to be perfectly honest, there's no need to ever deliberately breed another guinea pig. There are enough accidental pregnancies to keep them going forever, and there are thousands of pigs in rescues and shelters that need good, loving homes.

  8. #8
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 05, 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    11
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant?

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Fix a makeshift cage and get him out now. You can put him in a bathtub, or a large laundry basket, or pin him in with boxes or crates -- just put an old shower curtain down on the floor and them some bedding over that, and box him in.

    He's not a full roan, but he may carry the roan allele. Pigs that inherit that from both parents are called lethal whites. They're born blind, deaf, with wonky/missing teeth, and immature digestive tracts. If they live, they require lifelong, expensive vet care.

    They're a perfect example of why guinea pigs should never be casually bred. There are other genetic conditions they can inherit as well, some of them causing lifelong pain. And to be perfectly honest, there's no need to ever deliberately breed another guinea pig. There are enough accidental pregnancies to keep them going forever, and there are thousands of pigs in rescues and shelters that need good, loving homes.
    Okay thank you, I will do just that. And as soon as I take them to the vet for their checkup I'll talk to my vet about getting one or both of them fixed, if she is pregnant I'll take any precautions I need to, and once she's had the babies, I'll get her fixed. And the babies once they're old enough. How old do they need to be, and are there any dangers of them getting fixed?

  9. #9
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,107
    Thanks
    189
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant?

    Neutering the males is a safer, easier, and cheaper surgery than spaying the females. But you do need to find an exotic vet who's done quite a few of them. The anatomy is different from that of dogs and cats, and the neuter isn't done the same way.

    I think they need to be a few months old before they're neutered, so you'll need to separate any male pups at 21 days of age to keep them from impregnating their mom and sisters.

  10. #10
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 05, 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    11
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant?

    Okay I will, and in that case I will just neuter the males.

  11. #11
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 05, 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    11
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Pup Cavies

    Mynx was pregnant, she had two, from what I can tell, healthy babies. The dad has been placed in a separate cage, but still gets taken care of obviously. I don't believe the pups are Lethals, but it's probably too early to find out just yet. I've read from another post talking about something called afterbirths that the mother was supposed to eat, I believe I know what that is but could someone explain it to me so I know for sure? And is there any precautions or changes I should do that would help the babies and mother, other then separating the father from them.


  12. #12
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,107
    Thanks
    189
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant? Pups are here

    I merged your new thread with this one. Please keep all the information about these pups together.

    The pups are definitely not lethals -- lethals are all white, with no color whatsoever.

    The afterbirth is the placenta that was attached to the uterus. The sow will usually eat it, and possibly the sacs that the pups were born in.

    Cute pups! Did you get the father out of the cage before they were born?

  13. #13
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 05, 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    11
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant? Pups are here

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I merged your new thread with this one. Please keep all the information about these pups together.

    The pups are definitely not lethals -- lethals are all white, with no color whatsoever.

    The afterbirth is the placenta that was attached to the uterus. The sow will usually eat it, and possibly the sacs that the pups were born in.

    Cute pups! Did you get the father out of the cage before they were born?
    Okay thank you for telling me, I'm so glad they're healthy. Is it the red gewy looking stuff? I'm assuming so because she did eat it. I honestly though it was one of the babies bleeding and I was terrified. But seeing they were both alright I was relieved. The father was out of the cage, I heard mynx squeaking, so I checked on her and saw them. How old do they need to be before I can find out their genders? And once I get their father fixed, if the two pups are females, will they all be okay to be in the same cage together?

  14. #14
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,107
    Thanks
    189
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant? Pups are here

    Yes, they can all live together if the pups are females and the father is fixed. But not in that pet store cage. It's not big enough for one pig, much less four. Click on the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes, and those are minimums. Bigger is always better.

    You'll also have to keep the dad separated for four weeks after he's neutered to make sure all the sperm die off.

    A good sexing aid is http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm. Or you can post pictures here. Make sure they're well-lit close-ups so we can actually see what's going on.

    If one of the pups is male, you can have him live with dad, and leave the female with the sow. If they're both male, you can put all three males together in a large cage, and maybe they'll stay together. It'll be easier because the pups are so young, but three males can be problematic when the younger ones hit puberty.

    In that case, the sow would be alone, but you could find her a friend. It won't work to have multiple males in with females. A very few people I know of have been able to make it work, but only if one of the males is very laid-back and non-dominant. Most of the time it ends in total, miserable failure.

  15. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:


  16. #15
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 05, 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    11
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant? Pups are here

    Me and my family are going to build a much larger cage, we just never had time, but now, time or not, I'm going to build a larger cage for them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #16
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 05, 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    11
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Pregnant? Pups are here

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Yes, they can all live together if the pups are females and the father is fixed. But not in that pet store cage. It's not big enough for one pig, much less four. Click on the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes, and those are minimums. Bigger is always better.

    You'll also have to keep the dad separated for four weeks after he's neutered to make sure all the sperm die off.

    A good sexing aid is http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm. Or you can post pictures here. Make sure they're well-lit close-ups so we can actually see what's going on.

    If one of the pups is male, you can have him live with dad, and leave the female with the sow. If they're both male, you can put all three males together in a large cage, and maybe they'll stay together. It'll be easier because the pups are so young, but three males can be problematic when the younger ones hit puberty.

    In that case, the sow would be alone, but you could find her a friend. It won't work to have multiple males in with females. A very few people I know of have been able to make it work, but only if one of the males is very laid-back and non-dominant. Most of the time it ends in total, miserable failure.
    I wasn't able to to build a cage, but I modified a baby crib we had but weren't using for them. It's 40" by 28" I believe that's big enough for 4, though of course they'll still get their floortime during the day.

    They're under the hidey house I made for them right now

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #17
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,107
    Thanks
    189
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant? Pups are here

    No, a 40x28 is still not large enough for one pig -- it's barely eight square feet. The pups will have nibbled ears if the cage is crowded.

  19. #18
    Cavy Slave Shieme's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 27, 2017
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    302
    Thanks
    49
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/37 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant? Pups are here

    I can't make a c&c cage for the life of me but even I know that cage has issues. The hidey is so tiny. I. Had a hidey bigger than that and Shiemi took it over, push Zoe out. Shiemi would also flip it. If Shiemi flipped that, the girls could pee on it and soak it. Also I see a dangerous gap! I know I didn't plan well with Shiemi. But I had a c&c cage when I got Zoe. It just didn't work out but I tried to plan and made sure I got another female. And I feel you just set yourself up for another pregnancy. You said four are living in that. You said they are in the hidey.

  20. #19
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Mar 05, 2017
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    11
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant? Pups are here

    Quote Originally Posted by Shieme View Post
    I can't make a c&c cage for the life of me but even I know that cage has issues. The hidey is so tiny. I. Had a hidey bigger than that and Shiemi took it over, push Zoe out. Shiemi would also flip it. If Shiemi flipped that, the girls could pee on it and soak it. Also I see a dangerous gap! I know I didn't plan well with Shiemi. But I had a c&c cage when I got Zoe. It just didn't work out but I tried to plan and made sure I got another female. And I feel you just set yourself up for another pregnancy. You said four are living in that. You said they are in the hidey.
    The dad actually isn't in it right now, the mother and her pups were under in. I'm not putting the father in it until he's been neutered. I'll work on getting a bigger cage, and I'll make a larger, better hidey as soon as I can as well.

  21. #20
    Cavy Slave CavyTV's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 06, 2016
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    696
    Thanks
    80
    Thanks
    84 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)

    Re: Pregnant? Pups are here

    Make sure to sex the pups (you are welcome to post pictures for help if you need it) and separate the males at 3 weeks. You wouldn't want any girls to get pregnant; say the very young male did impregnate any of the girls (sisters or mother), the fact that he and possibly the female(s) are so young and the fact that they are related increase the chances of stillborns/miscarriage and the death of the mother during labor/after giving birth. Make sure you sex them correctly this time.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •