Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Two new young guinea pigs seem scared, and or skittish.

Kaia_Mira

Cavy Gazer
I just got them yesterday, and they are quite skittish. Their names are adore, and violet. Violet seems to come out more than adore, adore seems quite a bit more skittish. They do come out when I'm in my room, and they hear me talking but if I get close they run into their box. I've been putting timothy hay into their hidey holes, and they are drinking, eating, pooping, and peeing. I'm not sure if they're both sneezing, but the one did twice yesterday, and I heard 4 sneezes today? Do you think that's ok if they sneeze occasionally? I did take their boxes out when I noticed so I can tell who it is that's sneezing, and they started running around and like hopping and squeaking? Do you think they're ok, and behaving normally they're my first pet and I want to make sure they're ok.

Kaia_Mira

Cavy Gazer
When I put their boxes in they dont run around as much, but I took them out and they're like hopping around and jumping, eating, and drinking.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hopping and jumping is called popcorning. Guinea pigs popcorn when they are excited and happy.

If you got them from a pet store, they may have respiratory issues. Possibly a URI, as that's what most pet store pigs have, unfortunately, as well as mites because of the poor conditions they live in and the improper care they receive. If they keep sneezing, and they are sneezing several times a day, I would take them to the vet. If they have runny noses or discharge in their noses or eyes, then they could very well have a URI.

It's only the first day. Guinea pigs are prey animals and they naturally hide from things that they are unsure of. Don't expect them to be tame on the first day; some pigs take weeks to be tame, some take months and some even take years. It all depends on the guinea pig's personality and how patient you are. Patience and time is key... and also food because the best way to a guinea pig's heart is through its stomach :)

Try not to pick them up that often. You want them to associate you with positive things in order for them to trust you. Most pigs don't like being picked up, and some even don't like to be touched. I have a pig who doesn't like to be petted; occasionally he will let me but I have to do it at the right time and on the right spot :) Learn when your pigs like to be pet and where. Start hand feeding them veggies and fruit. This allows them to see that you are the "Food Human", and once they realize that they will trust you. Just don't rush them. Give them time. If they don't want to be picked up, or if they want to be put down, respect their wishes and do it.

Maybe after a week or 2, you can start giving them lap time. I would suggest having them both out on your lap at the same time at least for the first few times; some pigs feel more comfortable during lap time when they have their buddy with them. After all, guinea pigs do rely on each other for security. I would start with 5 minutes of lap time and then each day add 3-5 more minutes. You can give them as much lap time as they can stand. Eventually, they'll have to pee and if they do (most but not all pigs do this) they may start chewing on your clothes, or on the blanket you have on your lap, or they may try to get off, signaling you to put them back in their cage. Don't take it personally if they pee/poop on you, just remember for next time to keep them out for a shorter amount of time.

You can also try floor time (I'd suggest waiting at least a week before doing that so they can settle in more). Set up a playpen (not necessary, you can simply block places off by using cut boxes (to make a wall just cut the box in one corner) or just using something else that can work. You can scatter food on the floor and set up a little scavenger hunt for them. You can include tunnels as well.

It's okay if they hide the first time, or if they don't come up to you at first; the more you do it the more they'll get used to it (same thing with handling). You can hand feed them during floor time. Their curiosity will eventually get the best of them and they'll come up to you to see what you have in your hand. If you give them time, they may even learn to go up to you during floor time for food! One of my boys likes to jump on my lap and he licks my fingers as if saying "Do you have food for me?" Just have patience and keep hand feeding them. They'll warm up to you eventually :)

Last edited:

Kaia_Mira

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for the advice, I haven't been getting them out and have left them alone for a while. I cleaned their cage today, and put them on the floor with each other so they felt more comfortable while I cleaned their cages. While I was cleaning I noticed a lot of dust from their bedding so I think that might be the cause of the sneezing. It did say dust free, and kilm dried on the bedding packaging, so it's kind of frustrating that it doesn't live up to it. It is a very large bag, and was pretty expensive so if you have any suggestions of how when I change their bedding I could make it less dusty? I set them on a towel on my bed while I let the bedding in their cage settle, and they let me hand feed them timothy hay, they both also came over to me and started sniffing me. The one seemed to be sitting down too :). They don't have any runny noses, their eyes are wide open with no discharge, and their ears are normal as well. I'm going to check their fur for mites, but I'm not sure what they look like. When I put them back in their cage they were running around, and squeaking so they seem to be happy :). Thank you for responding I appreciate it!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't check for mites. They're microscopic and burrow into the skin. You can only recognize an infestation because the pig is scratching a lot.

Kaia_Mira

Cavy Gazer
They're eating, drinking, and their coats are nice and soft. They seem to be healthy, I was just concerned about the occasional "chu" noise. It sounded like a sneeze, but I wasn't sure.

Kaia_Mira

Cavy Gazer
Oh, they haven't been scratching or anything, and their skin looks good.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Kaia_Mira

Cavy Gazer
Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.